• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question VG-540 ink color, change Magenta to White

keith20mm

I have a Roland VG-540, the current color setting is as follows:

Slot 1 Yellow
Slot 2 Light Cyan
Slot 3 Cyan
Slot 4 Magenta
Slot 5 Light Black
Slot 6 Magenta
Slot 7 Light Magenta
Slot 8 Black

I desire to change one of the Magenta slots to White. My question to Roland indicated that I would place white into Slot 4, Magenta, and should summons a tech to make this conversion.

In our location, we maintain all of our own equipment, from CNC milling machinery, CNC gantry, other inkjet printers, ProSpangle machines, rhinestone machine DS-Tech DS-600-4C, and much other electronic equipment, such as laptops, motherboards, power supplies, tablets, audio equipment, and so on, so I don't think there is any technology that is beyond our capability. We have SMD air station, and microscopes on hand, if needed.

I have found I can enter Service Mode on the VG-540 operator keypad.

I would like to know the correct procedure to change the Slot 4 Magenta to White.

If required, I can replace any inline parts, such as tubing, head, cap top, as needed. I can obtain the required cleaning solvents, and blend as needed, for flushing or direct soak. I also have a small ultrasonic tank available, if required.

If there is service manual available, that would be great to have on hand, also.

So, I am asking, what is the proper procedure to convert from the above color set to:

Slot 1 Yellow
Slot 2 Light Cyan
Slot 3 Cyan
Slot 4 White
Slot 5 Light Black
Slot 6 Magenta
Slot 7 Light Magenta
Slot 8 Black

Additionally, I would need to inform VersaWorks Dual of this configuration change, if needed, so would like to know the procedure to change the printer profile to match the ink setting.

Thanking you all in advance for this excellent forum, and the fine information I have read on other, similar, but different machines, plus side information on many other machines, and signmaking, in general.

Email is kdopson @ sbcglobal.net

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Do you already have TR2 ink? If not you should upgrage to that as well at the same time. TR1 ink is being discontinued.

There is like a special procedure for the ink change and it's not in the service manual. I'm not sure if your printer has the circulation pump installed already or not if it didn't come with white originally. Actually I'm not sure if it's the same in VG as in VG2 which does have a recirculation. It's not double CMYK so that's good.

Shortly it goes something like this:
Need to flush the ink system with cleaning cartridge.
Probably need to do something with the tubes so the white recirculation starts working and that also needs the pump for it.
Fill it with white ink.
Change printer ink configuration in the settings to with White.

Just know that the white ink isn't that great..... You may realize later that it wasn't really even worth it.

keith20mm

Do you already have TR2 ink? I...Just know that the white ink isn't that great..... You may realize later that it wasn't really even worth it.

The current ink type is TR1. The plan was to convert to TR2 sometime next year, once existing ink stock was depleted. The need for white is for printing clings on clear film.

keith20mm

Well I recommend doing the TR2 update at the same time. Otherwise you will just do the same job twice.

Using the existing Service Mode, (pre-convert to TR2), it appears to me that I (no tech required) can personally change the Magenta to White.

The Roland notes on conversion state that the conversion will use the existing ink setup, currently White is not in the setting.

After conversion to TR2, I have read that the Service Mode is no longer user-accessible, hence, I would need a tech to install the White ink, should I convert to TR2 later without White already being in the ink settings.

If I convert the Magenta to White, NOW, then, later next year, when I change to TR2 ink, the White will already be in the ink setup, no tech required, at conversion time.

If I convert to TR2 ink NOW, then I will not personally be able to make the Magenta to White change, as the Service Mode, is, to my reading and understanding, forever having me locked out of any kind of ink configuration change.

If my understanding on this is incorrect, please elucidate, and correct my thinking.

Yes, I do plan on conversion to TR2 ink, next year, not now.

Again, a current VG-540 Service Manual copy might do much for my understanding.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Yeah the upgrade kit they are selling I think only allows upgrade with the same ink set. But still in my opinion that should be something that's negotiable with the tech. Before hand of course, not when he's already on-site :mad:
They should be able to do the TR2 upgrade and white swap during the same system flush. Probably won't just be able to buy the official "ugprade kit" from Roland.

Anyways if that's how you want to do it, maybe someone else can provide the manual.