• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help VG2-540 Blacks Printing Brown

jazzprinter

Hi everyone, I am having difficulty with our Roland printing browns instead of blacks. I am printing from Flexi 21 through Production Manager to a Roland VG2-540. When I use VersaWorks the problem does not persist, leading me to believe it is a problem with Production Manager. The particular Roland we have was optioned with the orange ink, so we are using CMYKLcLmLkOr profiles. In the RIP, if I instead choose an output profile that excludes orange (CMYKLcLmLk) then the printer prints the blacks just fine, leading me to believe the problem is with how the software interacts with or interprets the orange ink.

The orange ink is there to extend the color gamut, however anytime I want to print something that has black in it, I have to purposefully not use the orange ink to get proper blacks, making having the option basically pointless. Brown is just dark orange, so it seems like whenever it has the option of using orange ink (rather than excluding orange from the profile) it puts way more orange into the black than needs to be there, turning it brown. This is just my assumption.

What steps should I take to troubleshoot and/or fix this problem? Also, does anyone have any prior experience with a problem like this?

Questions I know will be asked:
We use all RGB colors (including R00G00B00 as black) becuase they print the best on both the Roland and HP 365 we have. CMYK blacks and even rich blacks tend to print as forms of grey on both printers. I can't use VersaWorks all the time because we need to use Graphtec Registration Marks quite frequently, which VersaWorks does not work with. Additionally, just using VersaWorks as a "fix" doesn't actually address the problem, it is just circumventing it.

I have included a picture of a test print I made, comparing RGB and CMYK values. The brown seems most present on RGB black, not so much on the RGB greys or the CMYK greys.

Color Chart.jpg