• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help VG540 Carriage Bearings Seized

Dave Kasler

Have VG 540 that was printing fine with no noise. All of a sudden the print carriage seized up. I have separated the cutter from the print carriage to eliminate the pullys. Assuming is a bearing on the back of the carriage. Tech can't get here for a week.

Any solutions on how to free the carraige?

Mantaworld

If you are up for this you can try this......it is messy so lay some scrap hand towels down to limit the mess.
You will need a spray can of brake cleaner with the red little straw that shoots it out.....
Before attempting cleaning, switch off the sub power/power and wait until the heater and dryer cool (approximately 30 minutes).
First use this cleaner to completely clean the track top and bottom that the carriage moves on...the full length..spray very lightly and it won't go all over the place!
Then spray into the tracking where the carriage is sitting from both sides....make sure you protect the rest of the machine from any over spray that will be generated...
This should loosen the carriage up enough to start moving it slightly from side to side....continue the process until it starts moving normally....once you achieve this...let the machine sit for a couple of hours until all the brake fluid has evaporated.
Lastly you will have to re lubricate using lithium grease. To do this place a small amount of this grease onto one of your foam cleaning swap sticks. place some on both the bottom and top rails. Slide the carriage over the area several times to get this grease to the bearings within the carriage...repeat a second time. Wipe off all the excess grease and that should do it. This entire process should be performed as part of your maintenance schedule.

here is a link to an article about this topic....It is not the same machine but you should get an idea as to the steps.

https://techsupport.signwarehouse.com/mutoh-cleaning-bearing/

Dave Kasler

It worked!

You saved me over $1000 (that was just the travel estimate from Detroit to SE Ohio). We got the head free, cleaned the rails with alcohol and applied lithium grease. Printing fine now.

What an invaluable resource!

Thanks!

Mantaworld

Your welcome...glad it worked out for you.....make sure you add this to your bi-monthly maintenance schedule....at least cleaning the rail and re-greasing...If you have a dirty environment in your work space...you can do this more often

cheers from Canada!!! eh!