• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Viewing Distance...

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I have 3-4 different viewing distance charts, but this has me puzzled..

What would the letter height be on a banner/sign, being viewed from 500 feet in the air, 7480 feet away..

Pat Whatley

4" per 100 feet.

Triangulate....one side at 500', one side at 7480', one side at X

X/100 x 4"

So.....

7496.69 / 100 = 74.96 x 4 = 299.84 inches or right at 25 feet.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
What would the letter height be? The angle only adds 9'-4"

Right now I have 22'-4' cap height

kpeskin

It depends on a number of factors that you haven't specified. (Font, color contrast, illumination, vision acuity of intended audience, where the sign is going to be displayed). But if we are to assume a vision level of 20/40 (generally accepted standard for drivers licensing and thus of the public at large), and that the sign is manufactured and displayed in the optimal fonts and colors, at the distance specified, the letters would need to be almost 22 feet (actually 262 inches) in height to be viewable (with >75% legibility) if the sign is parallel to the viewer.

Of course, I may have missed something in doing my math.

BTW, I was using 28.6 feet/inch letter height (taken from the technical report within the UDA model sign code that ISA will be distributing later this year).

zmatalucci

you know you can just mail your Christmas list to santa..you don't have to make a sign big enough for him to read it from the north pole ;-)