• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vinyl buckling between rollers

Shadowglen

This buckling of the vinyl is happening on and off. it does it both on and off of the takeup, so its not a tension issue with the takeup. Machine is a Roland VG2-540. media is Arlon DPF 4600 GLX. I have been running Rolands for years and never had this issue. It will work fine for yards and yards and then start up again.

Attachments

• 20230809_094452.jpg
    20230809_094452.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 270
Last edited:

modernimagesigns

I have been having the same issues. I've been wondering if it is a humidity issue, heater settings, or a different backing paper. It seemed to have started after the Covid related shortages. It doesn't seem to happen with the other materials, only the 4600. I use a Mutoh VJ-1624.

damonCA21

First step would be to clean the grit rollers and pinch rolllers. I get this occasionally and find pulling the vinyl off the roll before starting the job helps as well as it isnt then having to drag the weight of the roll. I think sometimes the vinyl can sort of stick as it is being fed off the roll and this can cause it

Vortex37

Laminator Whisperer
We don't run that particular media but I have received other defective rolls and it kind of sounds like the media may be the issue. Is the core deformed at all? That's usually the biggest culprit when our Roland has random head strikes on a particular media.

Beyond just the core being deformed we've had lots of random issues with media of every kind since COVID. You can contact the supplier you bought it from and ask if they have had others report issues and see if they can get you a replacement roll from a different lot. Usually they're quick to send out a replacement, but you do have to keep on top of them to credit you for the return.

On that note, I've been retaining the boxes for every roll of media since we started having supply chain issues because they always want the lot number if you suspect there is an issue.

garyroy

Don't go cold on your heat setting. Your print will look bad and it could smudge if touched in the slightest way.
Turn the heat down a few degrees and keep testing.

Last edited: