• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Comparison Chart

Lauren

I am in the process of organizing some information to make choosing and ordering vinyl easier for when it's a little more hectic around here. Before I spend too much time on this, am I reinventing the wheel? Here is what I am putting together. vinyl comp chart.PNG I am pulling the datasheets on the vinyl to get the durability information. I am also adding pricing, so I know that information will vary, but does anyone have or know of something like this already out there?

fresh

We typically just use one brand of cut vinyl, Avery, and use the catalog to help remind us of its longevity.

All calendared "high performance" films should have roughly the same longevity, just as the intermediate calendered and cast films will have similar life-spans across the brands.

I think a more helpful chart for someone starting out is to make a chart with interchangeable brands of vinyl... Like list all the model numbers of Cast Vinyls (Avery, 3M, Oracal, etc.), and maybe make a note that they are good for vehicle lettering, long-term graphics, and curves. I know my partner is always scratching his head trying to remember which material to use when there are 4 different rolls of what looks like the same color.

Biker Scout

It's way easier to do if you are the one ordering the vinyl. You go based on immediate availability of the brand that you can readily get most of and the quickest.

For me, I just stick to a brand and not deviate unless specific colors are required. For instance, Avery, has some decent colors that are outside of the range of the other manufactures. I also like their metallics. However, in real world usage all of the vinyl failures I've ever experienced has been with Avery. So I only use them sparingly and for certain colors.

We use OraCal the most around here. Only offer 951 and 651. The cast is for windows that get direct sun, vehicles and other curved surfaces. 651 for everything else that doesn't need to last long. Which is why we always ask what the client's intention for the signage is for. That way they get what they need and not what I want to sell them. Often times they get cast and I don't up charge. To me it's not worth the hassle to point out a nickel and dime charge, when I know they got the best and it will last them. Plus I like how easy cast is to work with.

2B

http://www.orafol.com/gp/europe/en/products/printing-materials
use the different tabs on the left for the classes of the materials and they have it broken down for the time range of the products and the best applications

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?95737-Boo-Grimco-won-t-be-carrying-Oracal&p=1013285#post1013285

here is a handy side-by-side chart so you can compare them across the company.

http://www.signs101.com/forums/show...numbers-to-vinyl&highlight=oracal+vinyl+chart
Here is another handy color chart

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I have some of the sample color chart folders from 3M and Avery and I believe they include the lifespan of each product. Pricing is another thing altogether. If you're going to do anything, maybe make a cheat sheet for pricing that corresponds to their sample charts.

JB