• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Curling at edges

Hey Guys,

I have been having quite a bit of jobs lately come back with the edges curling up. We clean every job with iso and we are using 3M IJ35c with a drytac uv laminate. I am wondering if this combo is just not compatible but our supplier has said that it should be fine. Does anyone have any insight on what I need to do?

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
3M Edge Seal is another way to keep your edges down. It's a little more work but it really helps with issues like this.

I suspect the prints were not completely out gassed. Cutting to the edge with eco-solvent inks before its fully outgassed will do that everytime.
This happened within a week of the install and we also let the prints out gas for at least 24hrs. I am wondering if the lam is just not compatible with the vinyl and is shrinking faster than normal or a bad batch of lam.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
This happened within a week of the install and we also let the prints out gas for at least 24hrs. I am wondering if the lam is just not compatible with the vinyl and is shrinking faster than normal or a bad batch of lam.

Where are you putting these vinyls? Ours only ever curl up if the laminator is too tight

tooler82

I use 8509 or 8508 laminate with my ij35c. Never had a problem yet. Get you a roll and try it to see if that fixes it.

AKwrapguy

Hey Guys,

I have been having quite a bit of jobs lately come back with the edges curling up. We clean every job with iso and we are using 3M IJ35c with a drytac uv laminate. I am wondering if this combo is just not compatible but our supplier has said that it should be fine. Does anyone have any insight on what I need to do?

I think the issue is the material. If I'm not mistaken isn't IJ35 calandered. I would look at using a cast material. Not sure about the lam as well.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Just because the reps push calendared material and it says it last 5 years doesn't mean it is the appropriate material for the job. This has always been a pet pev of mine and years ago a friend and I did the research on cast versus calendared cut vinyl graphics. When we did the math you saved on average $5 by using calendared over cast on two truck doors that were 1' x 2' with a two color graphic. It's not worth the aggravation, your reputation, and the time and trouble to redo the job because the edges shrunk and left the dirt adhesive rings, the inside corners of the letters cracked, and or the edges curled up...

If you take the time to analyze the costs involved you will find the the cost of materials are one of the smaller factors in the cost of good. Your time is better spent on maximizing and streamlining production. Labor is your largest expense.

Calendared material is for short term temporary jobs period. Just look at the odd color of vinyl you have left from years ago and compare cast versus calendared shrinkage on the roll...

ikarasu

Move up to IJ40 / 8508 and you'll be fine. IJ35 is the cheap crap thats meant for temp stuff... IJ40 worksa great for even vehicle decals. Anything that needs to stay flat.

BALLPARK

We only use Cast on vehicles after having issues with the top brand's calendared vinyl on vehicles. I've used a lot of the IJ35 in the past and it's only used in our shop when the client has no funds or it's a short term project outdoors with the sign being tossed after the event.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
How long is it before they come back to you? A year...a month...a week?
You void any kind of solution from BOTH material manufacturers if you use non-compatible materials (ie. 2 different brands).
3M IJ 35 is a PERMANENT adhesive.
Not sure why you or your supplier thought either of those products were the right material for the job, but you are both extremely mistaken.