• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Cutter Purchase

FXF

I'm looking to purchase my first vinyl cutter, at least a 24". I plan to use it for sign making, such as window and door signage, shirt making plus some other signage application. I find a variance in the down force in equipment. Some cutters only go up to 300-350. Some a little higher. How important is this to have in a higher number?

The other specification I am finding is that some cutters have tangential abilities and some don't. I know this function will produce some intricate cuts, but is something I may need/want down the road? I was eyeing up the Roland GX-24 but I does not have this function. I've also looked at a GCC Jaguar IV and the Graphtec 6000-60 that seems to have the best of the down force and tangential abilities.

Your input is greatly appreciated before I make the mistake buying something I wish I hadn't!

Thanks!
Mark

tsgstl

graphtec is top quality

as far as pressure... this would be used to cut through thicker material like sandblast mask etc. It is always nice to have everything you need at first then to wish you had it. As far as other things like page cut or perf. They are just a luxury IMO

Trip59

I've got a Jaguar here (amongst others) and I can honestly say the next purchase won't be another one... Don't get me wrong, it's quick, quiet, well built, lots of features, but it's given me some problems and support is 50/50, getting replacement parts is a bit of a PITA. Kinda wishing I'd gone with a Roland or Graphtec, though I will say the next purchase (and who knows, maybe the last) will be a Summa, just didn't have room in the budget this go-round. If you can fit it in your budget, go beyond the 24", you really won't regret having the extra space when you come across something that is 30" tall and you can run it in one piece rather than having to line it up after the fact, like storefront doors/windows... nice to just set it and go, no aligning on the table or site.

Whatever you go with, get yourself some Clean Cut Blades, WOW are those things great. Finally ordered some at 1/3 the cost of the carbides I was buying and it's still running like new, and better than the other brands I'd tried.

Biker Scout

I've had tons of 24" plotters. Some import, some name brand. Just do yourself a favor and get at least a 30" plotter. Trust me on this. That should be your bare minimum width. You'll thank me later, when you realize most windows and truck recesses end up being 26" - 27"

toomeycustoms

I've had tons of 24" plotters. Some import, some name brand. Just do yourself a favor and get at least a 30" plotter. Trust me on this. That should be your bare minimum width. You'll thank me later, when you realize most windows and truck recesses end up being 26" - 27"

+1 . Get a 30" and stick with the better brands, i.e. graphtec, roland, summa, etc. Stay away from the cheap chinese cutters.

AnthonyRalano

As far as the size goes for sign making and window lettering, I highly recommend going above 24" as well. You will find your production times increase because you are piecing parts of signs together in ways you never thought possible. The money you spend on production and installs will far outweigh buying a larger cutter.

tsgstl

Bigger is better in this case, but you can have a successful business with a 24" plotter.
I have never researched the pricing on a 30" machine before so I am blindly saying I would go 24" or 54"+ only
I only had 24" machines until I went digital (15 years or so) And I have only purchased maybe 20 rolls of 30" vinyl ever.
Even though I don't use colored vinyl as much as I used to I still carry 50+ rolls of 24" and I have maybe 4 rolls of 30"
You are only talking about gaining 6" if it is a big price jump then I would just go 54" so you can use it to print/cut later. If you are successful chances are you will print one day soon.

Trip59

Bigger is better in this case, but you can have a successful business with a 24" plotter.
I have never researched the pricing on a 30" machine before so I am blindly saying I would go 24" or 54"+ only
I only had 24" machines until I went digital (15 years or so) And I have only purchased maybe 20 rolls of 30" vinyl ever.
Even though I don't use colored vinyl as much as I used to I still carry 50+ rolls of 24" and I have maybe 4 rolls of 30"
You are only talking about gaining 6" if it is a big price jump then I would just go 54" so you can use it to print/cut later. If you are successful chances are you will print one day soon.

I only keep white, black, and red (751) in 30" everything else is pretty much 24" or order for the job. Why those colors... storefronts (and the red for an offroad club). 30" will hit a full entry door on most strip malls with one width, so I can do the whole thing top to bottom in one pass, rather than several pieces cut sideways and lined up. Big spaces between parts of it? I look at the time it takes to line it up and the look from the shop owner when I do it in one piece and don't worry about the $3 in wasted vinyl.

When I started, I'd squeeze every last square inch out, cutting and aligning and piecing together. That made me feel great as it looked good and I saved a few bucks on material... then one day I realized I'd wasted $30 in labor and felt a bit special.

Biker Scout

Here's the reason why a 30" over 24"... even if you never buy 30" material. It's about maximizing the roll. Most 24" plotters can only cut to 22" some 22.5". With a 30" you can go all the way out to 23.5" and sometimes more, depending on how well your tracks.

I have an old 54" Graphtech that I keep in the office right next to my desk and I just love it, it's a workhorse. However, I've never cut 54" material in it... ever! Usually I cut 15", 24", 30" and 36". But having the capacity is nice. But 30" vinyl has been a godsend for nearly every job that's been around the 2 foot mark. I'm not worried about the extra few inches I may or may not use. I don't price my stuff so low, I've got to count sq. in. and pennies.

visual800

My first cutter was in 99 it was an VE GRC61 from signwarehouse. Best damn plotter had it for 11 years. When i bought new one i got the VE (graphtec) QE6000. It cuts good, runs good damn good price came with LXI (flexi) 10 software great bundle price