• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl cutter recommendation

Pideas

I'm looking for a some suggestions on a cutter. I have digital press and I usually buy pre-die cut sheets of labels (i.e., 2.5" circle - 12 per sheet, 1x3" oval labels - 15 per sheet, 3x4" labels - 6 per sheet, etc.). I normally have to buy packages of 100 or more 8.5x11 sheets of labels. I end up with a lot of sheets of labels laying around after we get done with a job.

My question is what type of machine can I purchase that would be able to kiss cut various sized and shaped labels. I would run printed sheets on my digital press on either 8.5x11 sheets or 11x17" sheets.

The Graphtec, Summa, and Roland seem to be made for wide format roll printers. I'm not sure if these vinyl cutters can handle cut sized smaller sheets. Are there any cutters out there where I can cut smaller sheet sized labels?

Pideas

That looks more like a hobby cutter. I'm looking for one that could cut hundreds or thousands of sheets.

WildWestDesigns

The GX 24 (and I'm sure similar plotter from the other brands) Roland plotter can cut your 11 x 17 sheets (needs 15" min on one side), but it can also do rolls as well.

For your 8.5 x 11, more then likely looking at a hobby cutter. I would nix the 8.5 x 11 if you don't want a hobby cutter at all.

MI Bearcat

If your not buying pre-die cut sheets, there would be no reason to print the 8.5 x 11 size. Just print 11 x 17 especially if your getting charged a single click on 11 x 17.

Pideas

If your not buying pre-die cut sheets, there would be no reason to print the 8.5 x 11 size. Just print 11 x 17 especially if your getting charged a single click on 11 x 17.
Yes, that's what I plan on doing. I will probably run 11x17, 12x18 or 13x19" sheets. Can the Roland GX-24 or any of the wide format cutters handle this sized cut sheet? I guess my issue is I would have to hand feed the sheets.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Yes, that's what I plan on doing. I will probably run 11x17, 12x18 or 13x19" sheets. Can the Roland GX-24 or any of the wide format cutters handle this sized cut sheet? I guess my issue is I would have to hand feed the sheets.

You can technically load that size of material into the machine but because of the way the pinch roller system is designed, you will lose most of the cutting area on sheets that size. These machines are meant to cut rolls and large scraps. Smaller sheets are generally too small to be useful. I don't see any roll to roll machine working well in your case. As you said, you would have to hand feed the machine every single sheet so doing 1000s is out of the question. Now if you could change up your process a little and move to a roll material, then making 1000s at a time is ez pz.

Pideas

OK, thanks for input. What roll material would you use for cut labels? I run a HP Latex printer. I normally run Oracal 3641 or 3M IJ35 but the liner seems a little thin. Do you recommend a certain stock for labels?

Dan360

We do 90% of our labels on IJ35 or IJ40, depending on permanent or removable, works like a charm.