• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Cutter to pair with VG-540

Hello All!

I am in need of some advice on the purchase of a new vinyl cutter. In the shop, we have a Roland VG-540 and an old sp-300 we used for cut vinyl. Well, the sp300 bit the dust. So we are now on the market for a new larger cutter. We are split between the Graaphtec FC86000 and the Roland Camm-1 GR-540.

I was told that the Graphtec is the best in the industry but would need a new rip. I was pointed in the direction of Flexi. I got a free trial but did not get good print results as I do with versaworks. It also seems ICC profiles are lacking.

So my questions:
1. Is there another rip comparable to flexi and works well with the vg-540 and Graphtec?
2. Should I just stick with roland and go with the Caam 1?
3. Any help on locating or creating ICC profiles for flexi?

Thanks for any and all help on the purchase.

Cheers!

CanuckSigns

If you are happy with versaworks, I would stick with a Roland cutter, it will be a seamless transition. If you go with another brand, you will need to get a third party rip and you will loose some of the functionality of the printer (Roland swatch library).

I agree the graphtec is superior to the Roland cutter, but if you are using versaworks the ease of use for the Roland might out weigh the difference in performance.

Tizz

Just to add another option in the mix is to consider a Summa cutter.
Hands down a Summa cutter is the best.
Previous cutter was an old CX24 which I used for years and its still going. But had an opportunity to get a Summa D160. Best purchase I made.
I use versaworks and cut with the summa using their windows application. There is also an Illustrator plugin for adding the rego marks on the print file before sending to VW, which is easy to use.
So far I've had great results and the accuracy on the D160 is by far the best.

Maybe another option you could look at.

Just to add another option in the mix is to consider a Summa cutter.
Hands down a Summa cutter is the best.
Previous cutter was an old CX24 which I used for years and its still going. But had an opportunity to get a Summa D160. Best purchase I made.
I use versaworks and cut with the summa using their windows application. There is also an Illustrator plugin for adding the rego marks on the print file before sending to VW, which is easy to use.
So far I've had great results and the accuracy on the D160 is by far the best.

Maybe another option you could look at.
We did look into the Summa but was told that their customer service was subpar compared to that of Graphtec.

Tizz

Support is definitely essential and the last thing we all want is to be left hanging in times of absolute need.
Fortunately, I haven't had the need for any support, at the moment..... (nock on wood!).

However, Graphtec was my next preference then the new Camm GR series.