• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vinyl cutter

Jwalk

Hello I am traditional sign painter that is considering crossing to the dark side. In the past I have used vinyl stencils when there is a ton of type. I have a printing house I go to.
Since being out here in this forum I realized I might be able to get my own machine.

2 questions the proper term for this machine is plotter? Any recommendations on a cheap machine. I would only use it to cut in vinyl stencils.

Mosh

Look for a used Roland, they last forever. In fact I have one running I got in 1991....

Jwalk

hey thanks guys I know if trolled enough around here I could find some of these answers. Do you know ruffly what price range would it be for a 4' one?

Our shop has been in business going on 3 years now. We bought a Roland GX-24 a few months after getting into business to replace the crappy off brand cutter I had started out with two years prior. For an economical cutter it works great. Our software allows us to step cut large graphics so tracking up to 20 feet is never even an issue of much concern. As far as the size, we've only needed something cut larger than 24" a couple of times thus far, in which case we outsource to another local shop, but I would probably recommend looking into a larger 30"-60" cutter. If we could do it over again, I probably would have gone with a larger cutter, but I'm sure we will upgrade once the time comes that it seems absolutely necessary. For around $2500 with a stand, the GX-24 is a decent cutter.

JP4

We have a Graphtec CE5000 (24 inch) and have used the crazy out of it for the past two years with almost zero issues. But I have always wondered about the Summa and Roland brands. We are looking at getting at wide format digital printer but most likely will go with a print/cut machine due to space and we do lots of Tees.

visual800

You dont need a 48 sir a 24 would do you fine. I would go with signwarehouse and get cuttting program and plotter for $3000 generic graphtec is what we have

Tizz

I picked up a used Roland CX-24 several years ago for $400, still to this day I use it constantly. Bullet proof it is and it can also read crop marks.
Unfortunately it only runs on a 32bit system.

Wish Roland writes drivers for this to suit a 64bit system!

BESTBLANKS

Vinyl Cutters, Sign Vinyl and All Sign Making Items

Hello I am traditional sign painter that is considering crossing to the dark side. In the past I have used vinyl stencils when there is a ton of type. I have a printing house I go to.
Since being out here in this forum I realized I might be able to get my own machine.

2 questions the proper term for this machine is plotter? Any recommendations on a cheap machine. I would only use it to cut in vinyl stencils.

Hello, perhaps we can be of help. We are a premium distributor for all major vinyl cutter brands, sign supplies and more.
Please see this link for further details: http://www.bestblanks.com/vinylcutters.html

We are glad to answer any questions you might have so feel free to call us! 888-431-7385 or 954-989-1250

Thanks for your post!
www.BestBlanks.com

Jwalk

Hey thanks for the replies. You say a 24 will do me fine a lot of my stuff is a little bigger than 2 feet. I lost a bid to a job that would have required tons of vinyl stencils/ cut outs, the reason being I never thought of in house cutting I had out sourced it in the bid and came up to expensive.

player

Have you considered a digital printer?

You could get a used Roland SP300 (30" print and cut) or SP540 (54" print and cut) for a reasonable price.

You would still have a great cutter, plus all the extra advantages and potential of the digital printer.