• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl express Q30 vibrates when cutting round shapes

my plotter head unit shakes rapidly when it cuts any round shapes but goes smooth when cutting straight lines. i think its a setting i acadently put it on when i fixed the contour cutting. Does anyone know what i can do?

round man

Most plotters tend to jerk between plot language commands from a curve command to a straight line command,...this happens when the plotter is sent a plot file for a curve translated into a bunch of very small straight segements that appear to be a curve such as one would find in a dxf file with curves that upon very high magnification appear as very short straight line segements but to the naked eye look like a curve,..the plotter speeds up when the cut speed is set too fast between the points and appears to "jerk" as you describe it,....I couldn't help you without knowing what kind of cut file you are starting with and what program you cut with,...on some plotters there is a setting for curve steps which will solve this problem but I am not sure if this applies to your plotter but best chances are there is a setting to cut curves somewhere instead of the plotter cutting all straight line point to point segements

TwoNine

Building on what Round Man had to say - there is a 'resolution' setting to tell you plotter how accurate to be - it is typically set to 1024 (or 1024 'steps' or increments per inch). SO naturally you could expect accuracy to 1/1024" - but that's on paper. So - with you going in and editing settings - you may want to go find something that sounds like resolution or steps or accuracy??? Make sure that the number in there is at 1024. Sounds like maybe something got entered incorrectly.

For the record: I don't own or have never used a Vinyl Express cutter - but the resolution stuff is pretty universal, and should be the same across the board. It's a hardware thing. It's worth a try....