• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Express Q54 making a grinding noise.

A&ESignShoppe

Just today, my Q54 started making a strange grinding noise whenever it passes a certain point. The point seems to be right in the middle of the machine. The strange this is, though, if I take the carriage and slowly move it manually, it doesn't make the noise. The carriage has to be moving fast - either when I move it quickly with my hand, or it moves automatically while it's running - in order to make this scraping noise.

I wiped my finger across the railing that the wheels ride on, both on top and below, and cleaned off all the dust that had accumulated there. However the machine still makes the noise at that spot. I discovered that if very slightly pull the carriage outwards towards me while I slide it, it makes the noise more frequently.

Can anyone please help me? I've only had this machine a few months. It has worked perfectly until now. I don't want my stuff breaking down this quickly.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Just run it. You'll either fix it or break it off. If the former, fine. If the latter, you'd have to fix it anyway.

Could the carriage be touching the the metal cover in that spot? there is not a lot of clearance and a slight inward bow of the cover will cause friction and noise. If that is the case, simply pull the metal cover forward (toward the front of the machine) and upwards, to allow more clearance for the carriage and you should be good to go.