• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl is peeling ... what should I seal it with?

letterman7

Pretty open statement. Without more information there is no correct answer (how old is the vinyl, what is it on, what type of vinyl, etc). Usually, if the vinyl is peeling, you do the project over rather than try to save it.

Conor Knoxx

Should I sand the PVC?

I have had this problem as well - 3mm PVC - "economy" (have to look up the number) Oracal vinyl - full bleed prints. Edges start curling off within a few minutes to an hour.
I tried cleaning the PVC with rapid prep, let the prints dry/cure overnight, then tried a different brand of vinyl (some no-name stuff...) - these were just temporary indoor signs.
Ended up laminating the darn things, and haven't heard of any problems since.
I don't think I ever really figured out the true source of the problem though.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Sounds like improper outgassing or cheap material.
I would recommend reprinting on something like this with a full bleed applied to a full sheet.

However, you could also just plot 1/2" wide strips of laminate and run that as edge sealer tape if you are really cheap.

letterman7

Could be you're not letting the print dry long enough as well. Are you laminating? Just a straight print?

Don't sand the pvc... easy solution that (works for me) is to wipe the pvc with alcohol to clean it, follow that with a wipe of acetone. Put your print down immediately after all the acetone flashes. Your results may vary since we don't have all the info (which digital Oracal? which brand pvc?).

Are you guys meaning edge primer? That you can't use with some vinyls, but I haven't heard of any vinyls that you can't edge seal. Not that this would fix the curling issue. Just trying to see if I am learning something here