• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl print skewing using Big Squeegee...static cling?

gnubler

I have problems every time I attempt to use the 58" Big Squeegee by myself, with vinyl skewing or stretching on large prints. Starts off perfect and by the time I reach the end it's skewed a bit, showing a sliver of white of the ACM along one edge and the other side is running off the edge. Not good. I struggle with the liner building up static as I'm pushing the squeegee along to the point where it's almost impossible to push it forward. I have to lift the liner and shake it a bit to get some air under there and get it going again. I suspect this resistance is the cause of the vinyl stretching, and then skewing. This happens with both IJ35 (calendared) and IJ80 (cast), always laminated. Really tricky for one person to manage, and I thought the Big Squeegee would make this easier, not harder. I've tried climbing up on the table thinking I could get better leverage...same issues, and ridiculous.

I outsource my printing so am kinda stuck to staying within square foot boundaries due to cost. A 96x48 print is 32 sq ft, but if I add some bleed and order it 97x49 to give me room to play with, it bumps up to 45 sq ft and is priced accordingly.

Any tips from Big Squeegee pros?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
For me, it's been a while... But, using the liner, curling it back to hold up the vinyl as your working down... And line up the other end from top to bottom, and putting something on top of the not yet mounted vinyl... To help keep it in place. Not sure if I described that well... Does it make any sense?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I like to have an over sized bleed to trim. And I'd weight down the back until I got there. +1 for the hinge I forgot to mention.
And take your time. go slower than Tex does.

That's what she said

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I dont worry about that little white line...just make them even. No one has ever said anything. I dont like the big squeegee... I use the bill collector.

Get mad at it!! Show that plastic who's the boss!
Cleaning is an overrated step in the process. A quick wipe with your sleeve is sufficient.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I like to have an over sized bleed to trim. And I'd weight down the back until I got there. +1 for the hinge I forgot to mention.
And take your time. go slower than Tex does.
Hinge close to the front, just enough to stick it. Pulling too much backer off on a center hinge tends to let the vinyl stretch.

ikarasu

I have problems every time I attempt to use the 58" Big Squeegee by myself, with vinyl skewing or stretching on large prints. Starts off perfect and by the time I reach the end it's skewed a bit, showing a sliver of white of the ACM along one edge and the other side is running off the edge. Not good. I struggle with the liner building up static as I'm pushing the squeegee along to the point where it's almost impossible to push it forward. I have to lift the liner and shake it a bit to get some air under there and get it going again. I suspect this resistance is the cause of the vinyl stretching, and then skewing. This happens with both IJ35 (calendared) and IJ80 (cast), always laminated. Really tricky for one person to manage, and I thought the Big Squeegee would make this easier, not harder. I've tried climbing up on the table thinking I could get better leverage...same issues, and ridiculous.

I outsource my printing so am kinda stuck to staying within square foot boundaries due to cost. A 96x48 print is 32 sq ft, but if I add some bleed and order it 97x49 to give me room to play with, it bumps up to 45 sq ft and is priced accordingly.

Any tips from Big Squeegee pros?
So are you printing at exactly 48 x 96 and expecting to get no white?

Most panels are slightly wider or longer than 48 x 96... And a lot of times not perfectly square.

I would start adding a 1/8" White all around the image if possible...then just put on your vinyl, use a straight edge and cut the strip off.

Or... if you have the space, spend the $250 and buy one of these - https://www.ebay.com/itm/263276395115?hash=item3d4c7efa6b:g:8WAAAOSw2xhh59o5 . Mount it between 2 tables and applying 4x8s will be a breeze and take seconds.

Sharper Printing

Merchant Member
We haven't used the Big Squeegee as we print directly to ACM. Bumping to 97 X 49 is only 1 sqft, so you should be getting charged for 33 sqft not 45. Give us a call, we can hep you out.

Johnny Best

After you adhere about 6" of the vinyl down. Roll up the rest of the print inward. Youtube will show you. As you push the squeegee the backing will go out front with little or no resistance.
I prefer to put it down like Tex does and it always work better. I also print it an 1/8" small so as not to go right to the edge and leave a white edge around it. If wanting to go right to edge I print it an 1/8" bigger all the way around.
Also two people on either end of a 48" big squeegee for a 4x8 works a lot better.

gnubler

Thanks Johnny Best, that's exactly how I do it with the Big Squeegee, and I roll the print around a core so it sits nice and tight on top of the squeegee. Anyone else using S365 will see the big price jump between ordering 96x48 and 97x49 - they kick it up to the next sq ft overall.

Tex, I've watched that video a few times in the past, mostly for the music track (kidding) and have used that method also. It's less nerve wracking but takes so dang long, and requires quite the arm reach to do alone. Some of us are midgets.

I was at my shop until nearly 9pm cursing this one and am going to cut an even white margin all around as others mentioned. I'll tell the customer we have to do that or else the vinyl will start prematurely peeling at the edges. This sign is going up on a building wall, unframed.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I barely reach the end of the table, got to get on my tippy toes. Sometimes I don't go all the way to the edge, and when I'm done I'll go to the other side and finish it. That video was years ago and now I do them in 3-5 mins. Not as fast as laminating but I only apply faces maybe a few times a week. I did get it from Fellers. The problem with BS is that it leaves bubbles because I can't put enough pressure on it and have to get on the table. The method in my video is slower but once the vinyl is down it's bubble free and finished. I don't mind it being 1/8" from the edge, I feel like it lasts longer than cutting it right at the edge and looks nicer.

Neil Fancher

We haven't used a large squeeze in almost 15 years. We use our laminator and use the rollers and run everything through that. I guess the question is do you have your own. I will make a video and post it up tomorrow..

Black Star

Not A New Member
I've had that same problem. I just make sure that before I print that this stretching won't give me any major issues by adjusting the graphics to make up for the stretching.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Is anyone going to measure the board and does it have to be perfectly 4x8? It's probably bigger than 4x8 so, cut it down a 1/4 - 1/2" on top and side then you can still order your print to save on square footage and have a little play on all sides. Not saying I've done that...but...I have LOL I've also cut a little strip of vinyl and put it on the edge...of course you won't do that on certain signs.

Like Tex said, trim the entire piece so there's a little white space. That's what I often do.

With the BS I just used it today. I put the 4x8 board on the floor and kneel. I also keep it closer to level with the board than not.

jimbug72

We generally do our prints 46" x 94" that leaves enough so even if there is slight skew, no one ever notices. We show the proofs as such, and very few people take issue with the border, and those that do, generally decide that the border ain't so bad once they learn the price difference for a full bleed. We use the Big Squeegee as well, vinyl taped from the end.