• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Recommendation for Painted Vinyl

Br0wnie

Hello,

We currently use 3M 7125 Series for custom painted vinyl. We have an exterior job coming up (garage bay doors). We typically handle interior work so Im wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a more appropriate type of vinyl for painting and in this application? We were thinking of using the 7125 Series and laminating it for durability. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

unclebun

For painting we used to use enamel-receptive vinyl. It used to come in white or clear but it looks like the white has been discontinued and only Gerber 225 clear enamel-receptive is left on the market.

spectrum maine

we paint vinyl all the time for gradients lightly scuff the vinyl with scotchbrite use lacryl, grip flex, krylon or matthews paint and clear 1 light coat. very light coats clean well with laquer or lacryl thinner after scuffing

JTW

Other than Krylon I am not familiar with those paints. Are they regular solvent based? Enamel? Etc.? We use solvent based Grip-Gard VPS adhesion promoter followed by Akzo Grip Gard.