• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl removal from hell

petepaz

i did an awning a few years ago and the customer went out and got some special paint and painted the awning himself because it's wasn't something i felt i could do successfully.
but he actually did a good job, did multiple coats and the new vinyl stuck great. still holding up after two years.
i don't know what paint he used but he i believe he said he got it at home depot. maybe look in to vinyl awning paint?
repaint the area and put new vinyl on. removal sounds like they won't be able to pay you enough for the labor it will take to get it if (if it can be done at all with out doing damage)

but for the removal i would try the heat gun and or steamer see if that will loosen the adhesive any

zillion29

What white haus said. Offer, after all your useless labor....... quote it by starting over with new material. Explain to your friend, you cannot get it off. Most likely the conditions have bonded the two substrates beyond your control or either the wrong vinyl was used and have also bonded beyond your capabilities. Years ago, when we hand lettered awnings, they could not be used over for obvious reasons. I don't see why you can't do the same.
Is Avery 900 White ever the "right vinyl"? LOL. That product has gotten incrementally worse every year for the past 20 years.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member

Screw that, replace the material or let him do the removal, Your friend right?
Labor cost to remove billed at $125 an hour with chemical adhesive removal which will most likely f- up the material. This is like the guy who rents a space with a 2x 10 ft. polycarbonate illuminated sign face that wants to reuse the material. The labor to remove the sign face, strip the old vinyl and adhesive would be more than buying a new polycarbonite face.