• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

aerobuff

Preface: I'm a widow trying to do this (my husband took care of the computer stuff!) The Mutoh vendor won't reply...and Mutoh told me to ask the vendor (then hung up!) I temporarily gave up...the printer has been sitting for over a year...I need to set this @$% thing up! Please be gentle with your replies. If I can't figure out, I'll ultimately hire a computer person (but my budget and inner spirit would like me to succeed!)

I'm installing a VJ-1324X (following steps in Mutoh's video.) When I send something to print in the production manager, it gives the error: "cannot open port."

Set-Up:
PC - wireless connection to router
VJ-1324X printer - ethernet connection to router
Windows 10
(I also tried installing with the PC using an ethernet connection...didn't work! So back to wireless connection, less cords.)

VJ-1324X & Production Manager:
- updated the IP address (slightly higher than computer's IP address)
- updated the Subnet Mask (same as computer)
- I've even tried updating the Gateway (same as computer)

I noticed a clue in the 2nd installation video by the vendor, the comment: "If your current Network Interface Card is being used for your Internet, install a second network card in your PC...use this card to operate your printer outside of your ‘real’ network."

Network List (showing up on my computer)
- Qualcomm Atheros AR956x wireless network adapter
- Realtek PCIe (gaming ethernet?)
- TAP-Windows Adapter V9 (VPN)
- Microsoft wi-fi direct virtual adapter (hotspot)

1. I'm guessing these network adapters (above) aren't what I need -- and I do, indeed, need a 2nd network card? If so...
- Would a plug-in USB network adapter work? (I'm not comfortable tearing my computer/port apart for an install.)

2. This is a long-shot? I have a tri-band router (2G, 5G, 5G.) My (wireless internet) PC is using the 2G internet...could I install the (ethernet) Mutoh on the 5G internet? Then, would they be using different internet addresses, so I wouldn't need a 2nd network interface card? However, my computer doesn't show Mutoh as a printer, it's an unknown device, so I'm not sure how to have the Mutoh join the 5G network.

Thanks for your help!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The most straight forward way to connect is going to be a direct ethernet cable from the computer to the printer so I would try that first. The IP address should be different than the WiFi connection though which is probably why it didn't work when you plugged the cable in. Follow the instructions below and see if it works.

1. Connect the ethernet cable between the computer and printer and power the printer on.

2. In your Windows search bar, type the letters, CMD, and hit enter. A command console should pop up.

3. In the command console, type, IPCONFIG, and hit enter. It will show you your IP settings for your wireless and ethernet adaptors in separate lines. Look for the ethernet adaptor settings and under that look for IPv4 Address. That IP is your computer's ethernet IP address and will be different than the wireless one.

4. Change your printer's IP to exactly what the computer's is except the last number has to be different so you can add 1 for example.

5. Now change the default gateway on the printer to the computer's IP address.

6. Change the IP address in Production Manager to what you chose for the printer's IP and test it out.

You can usually set it up with the wireless router as well but that setup requires some more complex setup that requires knowing more information about how your network is setup. Try the method above and that will at least get you going. Then you can at least print and figure out the more complex networking later.

aerobuff

Thanks for your reply! I seem to be stuck at step 3, ethernet adapter settings.

Set Up:
computer --> wireless internet connection to router
printer --> ethernet cable into computer
turned printer on
(so the only things that have an ethernet cable: printer into computer...and modem to router.)

3. I'm seeing the wireless internet settings (IPv4 & Subnet Mask)...but no ethernet adapter settings? (or is that Default Gateway?)

Attachments

• internet.jpg
    internet.jpg
    684.1 KB · Views: 98

aerobuff

If I plug my computer into the router (with ethernet cord) will that give me the ethernet address? (and would that ethernet IP address stay the same, when I unplug the connection & go back to wireless connection?)

Thanks!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Thanks for your reply! I seem to be stuck at step 3, ethernet adapter settings.

Set Up:
computer --> wireless internet connection to router
printer --> ethernet cable into computer
turned printer on
(so the only things that have an ethernet cable: printer into computer...and modem to router.)

3. I'm seeing the wireless internet settings (IPv4 & Subnet Mask)...but no ethernet adapter settings? (or is that Default Gateway?)
That could be a sign that the cable, the ethernet port on the computer, or the ethernet port on the printer might not be working properly. Do you see any lights, blinking or solid, on either of the ethernet ports?

aerobuff

NVM...I reread this, and ethernet address doesn't matter? I will try the IPv4 address +1 & the default gateway (internet address) again.

Thanks!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
NVM...I reread this, and ethernet address doesn't matter? I will try the IPv4 address +1 & the default gateway (internet address) again.

Thanks!
There should be an IPv4 address under the ethernet adaptor heading. Since there isn't, it means there isn't a connection being made between the printer and computer. So it has to be something keeping it from connecting like a bad cable or hardware.

aerobuff

That could be a sign that the cable, the ethernet port on the computer, or the ethernet port on the printer might not be working properly. Do you see any lights, blinking or solid, on either of the ethernet ports?
I don't see any lights (blinking or solid)? I swapped the ethernet cord...same error message.

However, I did notice in Flexi PM that you can choose the port number (attached pic.) Google search said to run "netstat -ab" to see available ports...and all that came back was gibberish. Nothing like the port format Flexi choices: 9100, 9101, 9102, etc.

To rule out a bad ethernet port on the computer, I'll try using a laptop later tonight. (Then, if the computer port is bad...maybe a USB ethernet port adapter would work?)

Thanks again for your help! :)

Attachments

• port.jpg
    port.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 103

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I don't see any lights (blinking or solid)? I swapped the ethernet cord...same error message.

However, I did notice in Flexi PM that you can choose the port number (attached pic.) Google search said to run "netstat -ab" to see available ports...and all that came back was gibberish. Nothing like the port format Flexi choices: 9100, 9101, 9102, etc.

To rule out a bad ethernet port on the computer, I'll try using a laptop later tonight. (Then, if the computer port is bad...maybe a USB ethernet port adapter would work?)

Thanks again for your help! :)
Sounds like a good plan. The port should be 9100 BTW.

aerobuff

Thanks, HenryP -- I've watched & followed this video 1,000 times! :)

Installing via laptop didn't work either. I've tried several ethernet cords, so that's prob not an issue? That leaves the router port (it's 3 months old, and has 5 ethernet ports...I've tried them all) or the Mutoh printer port (dusty...but new, too.) Argh! :confused: