• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ 1604... extended warranty vs replacement

kstompaint

We are close to the expiration of the warranty on our VJ1604. We recently had some major down time due to error codes and several visits from the techs. Toward the end, I asked the distributor to replace the printer, which they did with a used 1614 from their shop.

It's been here for a bit but we were so busy catching up from the down time that I just opened it today. It looks to have quite a few more miles on it than the one we have and ours, frankly is in better shape (at least visually). We haven't had any problems since the last visit from the tech when he replaced the whole mother board.

With about 2 months left on the warranty, I'm not sure what to do. Mutoh wants $2500 for another year of warranty. I'm sure it would cost me that for one visit from the tech. What is everybody else doing with regard to service and extended warranty?

MVIP

It's all relevant. I doubt you can buy a new one for $2500.

But are you willing to spend $200 a month just for piece of mind? How much would these repairs have cost you?

I personally have had a 1604 for 18 months with only minor problems, but mine came with a two year warranty.

I have recently purchased a second unit for overflow and to just have a back-up.

Good Luck!

-Matt

hoppers

I bought the Roland SP300 1 year warranty for $1000 after I bought the printer used.

Granted my machine is cheaper to fix or replace then yours, but since I was new to the printer - the peace of mind helped. Havent had a service call on it yet and still not sure if I will re-up this July again (and think I heard the price went up to like $1400 for the year, ouch!).

$1K is easier then the $2500 since that really does hurt! Ahh insurance, when ya need it and have it - it rocks. When ya buy it and dont use it, it sucks! peace of mind though. I wouldnt be able to justify the $2500 though as I cant now justify the $1400 I think. A lot of knowledge and help is here on s101, its like having techs on call 24/7! :)

Color Dude

Minus the Mainboard & Printhead, you will be able to replace any part cheaper than a tech can. The labor is unreal. You can easily go beyond the $2500 in one visit if one of the above parts was to expire on the machine. Other than that I would have to say just replace the parts yourself. You will become alot more familiar with the machine and be thankful in the long run.

QuickSignsSA

Minus the Mainboard & Printhead, you will be able to replace any part cheaper than a tech can. The labor is unreal. You can easily go beyond the $2500 in one visit if one of the above parts was to expire on the machine. Other than that I would have to say just replace the parts yourself. You will become alot more familiar with the machine and be thankful in the long run.

I second this motion...