• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ headwash

jc1cell

I'm about to perform a head wash on the VJ 1604. I don't have additional ink cartridges (bulk) and am planning on removing the ones that have ink and re-filling them with wash fluid. Then replacing with new ink (different 3rd party brand) and re-filling the lines.

(Other than the obvious one that I should have 4 for inks and 4 for wash fluid)

Any negative remarks regarding doing this. I don't think there should be a problem other than the fact that it's tedious and messy. I just don't have time to buy more cartridges right now...Rush jobs for the weekend and don't have enough of my original brand and a full set of the new brand.

jc.

BTY.....Refresher:

1. Setup-headwash to run wash fluid and clear old ink.
2. Replace wash fluid cartridge with ink cartridge.
3. Setup-headwash to run ink and clear wash fluid in lines.

Correct?

SignsRus

Eeek sounds like a nightmare =[

We always keep 2 of each color instock =O. Order soon as we put one of those ones in also.

I know they are pricey, but cheaper then all the time your spending now.

randya

jc1cell,

If the new ink is the same as the old ink, should be no problem. (Assumes that you are just doing a flush).

If you are using a different type of 'new ink', after you clean the cleaning solution out, put just a little of the new ink into each of the carts and look carefully how they mix.

Any coagulation or separation of the pigment should be an indication of a problem.

jc1cell

Yeah...now that you mention it..OP..it does sound a bit raunchy doesn't it....not my intention by any means.

The steps have been taken to get the additional cartridges....it should save some time and and a lot of aggravating ink mess!!!

Randy. I did keep an I on the way the amount of flush fluid that was left in the cartridge and how it mixed with the new ink....there was no problem at all...I left it dripping for a bit and that helped a lot.

I did make a mistake when it was done pushing the fluid through. Once I put in the cartridges I forgot that in order to get the ink running through the lines all I had to do was a little charge (at least thats how I was taught) so I ran the Head Wash again and when it asked me to take the cartridges out again they were leaking from the end that goes into the printer. I had already filled them high.

Needless to say there was a big ink mess. Not much loss though.

I must say that these new inks from the first tests I'm performing are holding much better to the material. The yellow is warmer and the magenta is deeper. Color are printing well but still feel a new profile will improve it big time. I do see some things I need to look at that were not happening before though.

This ink is replacing the one we were using. Its from inkware and it was suggested by our suppliers as replacement for their own ink. They feel their ink could be the cause of all our capping problems. Once I get things settled with the way ink handles on the media I will replace the maintenance unit and see if the problems still arise.

There are still a couple other things I want to look into and I will post the results here for your use.

jc.