• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VMP - Summa D60 - USB

Decal_Designs

Is anyone using this combination?

VMP with a Summa D60 hooked up with USB?

How did you do the plotter setup for this?

VMP keeps asking me to choose between a serial port or the parallel port, and I want to use USB. :thankyou:

datcat

No can do. I own a D-60 and bought VMP. VMP sent me a set-up procedure that stepped out using a generic printer driver to emulate USB and I couldn't get it to work using XP so I called Summa. They said that it didn't matter what OS I was using, VMP was not a true USB supportive platform therefore it wouldn't work. VMP 3.0 will have USB support when it is released (so they say) and hopefully this issue will be resolved. I go spoiled using the winplot that comes with Summa products just because I like the way it communicates with the cutter and recognizes things like media size incompatabilities so I end up exporting my VMP files to WinPlot to cut. It's an extra step but I still prefer it. That is the only negative issue I have with VMP that was a suprise/letdown. I got another similar gripe with Summa though, they only support 9-pin and USB while my laptop only has 21 pin parallel so I'm hosed using a combination of VMP with my lappy and the Summa. I'm going to have to buy a PCI card with a 9-pin port adaptor if I go mobile.

Decal_Designs

Thanks for the information datcat!

So I guess for the time being, I'll have to use the serial port until 3.0 comes out. I wonder, is it possible to have the D60 hooked up with USB for the Summa Cutter Control program for settings (which works) and also the serial port for cutting from VMP?

I doubt it, but what do you think?

:thankyou:

datcat

Decal_Designs said:
Thanks for the information datcat!

So I guess for the time being, I'll have to use the serial port until 3.0 comes out. I wonder, is it possible to have the D60 hooked up with USB for the Summa Cutter Control program for settings (which works) and also the serial port for cutting from VMP?

I doubt it, but what do you think?

:thankyou:

Mine works ok that way. I prefer cutting from WinPlot (Summa's Corel Plug-in). I left my serial port hooked up just in case I decide to play with the cutting module in my spare time. I really like the cutting modules, I just hate that VMP doesn't communicate with the cutter and has to have the media sizes set manually. Just like the instruction book warns, you better do a dry run before you cut because if margins are off, you'll get a real nice lay-out that turns to scrap because the last 1/4" (or whatever size mistake you made) gets uncut all the way down one size. Take it from one who has had the experience. I like being spoiled and told (by the machine), "HEY DUMMY,....Your media isn't as large as your design!"