• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VP 540 service call 0103

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Came in this morning and not sure how long my heads were un-docked but it was beeping with "service call 0103".
After turning it on and off etc...it does the same thing every time. It starts up, un-docks and moves slightly to the left then stops and beeps with that error code.

Support being 2 hours away and who knows how far out on availability at the moment, does anyone have a clue how to proceed on my own or troubleshooting?
Google brought me to a video on youtube but when I try to initiate the "Limit Initialization" it displays "turn power on again" rather than "Setting Up The Limit".

Help me 101, you're my only hope.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
0103 is an error pertaining to the limit sensor. Running the limit initialize should fix the issue but if you can't get into that mode there could be an issue with the sensor it self. Try holding the limit position buttons down while turning on the main power to see if that helps.

Hopefully someone here has a better way to do this but I will tell you a trick I have used to get around the issue. Try at your own risk:

If you take the battery out of the main board it will reset some of the flags the machine uses to remember what to do when it powers on. This should allow you to get into limit position. Like I said, I do not know if this has any other repercussions but it has worked for me in the past.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Hopefully Roland Tech is coming tomorrow....sometime.
I walked through the process of re-initializing the limit...however during the "detecting" phase it conks out and gives a new error of 0102 (oh boy) to which the tech over the phone responded, "yeah, I don't know why that is happening, I'll definitely need to come there and look at it and still no guarantee we can figure it out."
*sigh

Thanks guys...

also, I'm not sure how to clean that sensor as I have no clue where it is. I'll check online for any diagrams unless you can shed light on that for me, thanks.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
i think this video will tell you what you need to fix it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooUcP0QfeaU
Is Chris W. who you use for a tech? I didn't realize you aren't that far from me.

No I use Imagers Supply in Louisville.

The vid process is what I was referring to...and when the cut head separates from the print carriage, it moves an inch to the left and BAM! That's when it beeps in the error code 0102.
So i'm not able to follow the process past that step which is what made the tech say he had to come in.

Thank you.

jfiscus

Rap Master
0102Even though the machine carries out the regular movement, the output of Head Lock Sensor does not reach the expected value.Head Lock Sensor does not work correctly or is broken.
0103Even though the machine carries out the regular movement, the output of Limit Sensor does not reach the expected value.Limit Sensor does not work correctly or is broken.
http://www.printcopy.info/?l=en&mod=free&chap=erc&brand=Roland&model=VP540

Should be some little sensors with electronic eyes on them.
I assume they read the encoder strip (but I've never worked on a VP series) if they have an expected value.
Clean the encoder strip and eye with regular alcohol.

ZAZA-40

I would like to restart this post. I have the same problem for months and my technician does not really know what to do. We changed the encoder strip and the error persists.
I will also change the sensor but I don't know what to do.

> sorry if my translation is not very good I am French :)

wilson_barrios

Does anybody have the name of the sensor? furthermore, is there any tutorial on how to replace it?
For those who want to change the sensor this is the reference (VS-640 Sensor-Interrupter, EE-SX4009-P1 - 1000006689) you can find them at Digiprint Supplies for about $7. Also is very simple to replace it, just find the service manual and locate the sensor.