• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help VP300 Wipers

Stevie

After what was actually a short time not in use, ink was hardly coming through, I've taken all the pipes off from the caps to the drain and cleaned all of these, as well as a regular manual clean to the caps and the head. Sucked the ink through the head to get it going and the next print was 99% okay.

Next day I run a nozzle check and it's not looking good yet again, did a powerful clean and now it's worse again :/

I've ordered new cap tops but I'm looking for the location of the wipers on this machine, can't find them! Can someone show an image of the wiper location on the vp300? It honestly looks like it hasn't got any (I didn't buy this new but it has been printing okay). Or has the wiper assembly been lost at some point prior to me getting the machine? I'm confused!

Any help appreciated

Thanks in advance

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Right next to the captops. It will push them out if you do the replacement via the menu.
Otherwise you have to pull them out from back. Also replace the scraper at the same time as wipers.

1641495759102.png

Stevie

Aha, the only thing I hadn't tried was via the menu, I'll have a look at them tomorrow and get wipers and scraper replaced.

Thanks for the fast response. Any idea why I'd have it printing okay and then hardly any ink the following morning?

Just feels like while I'm giving it a bit of a service I may as well change the wipers etc. Heads steeping again tonight but I doubt that's the problem so quickly.. I'll add that it is fairly cold where the printer is right now in case that's a clue.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Start with those caps. If they are bad it's letting the heads dry and doesn't keep it sealed etc. It could be your simple issue. Also you must clean the bottom of heads periodically to have a good contact.
Next I would replace dampers if caps won't help.

Stevie

Clean the bottom of the heads, or just around the edges (I was always lead to believe just to go around the outside and not on the bottom of the head itself)? Caps ordered, new wipers and scraper, I probably should have added dampers to the order, oh well! It's probably due new caps for sure, it's hardly had any use, when I first got it it had bigger problems and I had to get 4 new heads, Roland engineers aren't cheap, and I'm in hands on tech/engineer so might as well have a go, carefully and slowly.

Anything else anyone can add, it's appreciated.

Stevie

I'll leave the bottoms alone for now, after replacing 4 heads they scare me! I'm shaking at the thought of even replacing the dampers lol

Stevie

Okay, wipers were absolutely covered in thick ink, as was the surrounding area (but there was plenty ink all over when I got it from previous owners very amateur repair attempts), wipers cleaned until new ones arrive, same with scraper. Thanks :)

One thing I will mention as not sure if it's normal: After selecting replace wiper, I then opened the side panel but had to manually turn the cog to get the wipers to come forward. After a test print I then checked the wipers using the same process, but this time opened the front panel and then the side panel - the wipers did come forward, is this normal? or were the wipers stuck until I cleaned? Looks like it's normal as even when 'FINISHED?' it didn't run a clean the first time so looks like that's just the way the programming is.

Next question though, how do you undo the scraper on this model? I managed to squeeze hands around the back and clean it well, but when the replacement arrives I'm not quite sure what I need to undo?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
You take the one screw out and remove the plate in front of it. It hangs there from the tabs on the side.
Then you just kind of squeeze it and it will pop out. You will understand when you have the new one on your hands. It's not difficult.

Stevie

Well that goes in in a funky kinda way (the scraper)! Okay, replaced captops, wipers and scraper... Wipers and scrapers from digiprint - one heck of a noise when it tries to move the wiper, doesn't sound normal at all, not even convinced it's able to move from the back position. Printing worse than before (bah!) now getting sections of colour where no ink comes through.. The wipers are the black ones, which replaced the (lightly used) light ones. Scraper looked identical.

back to cleaning head again.. How do the heads work? I've the old ones here, and can see perhaps two lines of what must be very fine nozzles? confirming SHOULD I clean any of the underneath (horizontal), or just around the vertical outside of the head?

It's maddening that after a quick cleanup the other day, I was working pretty well and now.. sigh...

Stevie

Update on this, discovered a little piece of plastic under the wiper holder which had obviously broken off at some time, attempted to glue this back on and after a few cleans I've been getting much better test prints, not perfect but getting there. It's given me a chance to clean what was an ink messed printer too which has to help.

I'm currently using the old wiper and scraper, but I think the noise on cleaning was more down to the wiper holder being dodgy. New holder on the way as well as dampers and a separate thread I'll open for advice there.

Big thanks to balstestrat for his help as his instructions and advice pushed me forward to have to confidence learn more about these machines.

Stevie

Some aftermarket wipers are too stiff for that machine and it just gets stuck. The sound is the motor spinning out.
I figured as much, hence replaced the originals and scraper to troubleshoot. Having not had one of these before I can't compare to a fully working machine. Also, when it's wiping, the head blocks view so couldn't see if it was catching or even cleaning at all - is there even a way to get the machine to do a wipe with the head not over it? I found myself watching the bit of writing on the belt but it's too fast.

Presently I have the guard off so I guess I could see, but don't want more ink spraying about when the wiper wiped out goes over the scraper so have avoided testing without it.

Main issue with this has been previous user messing around and lack of use, but without seeing a working model it's daunting to troubleshoot, hence thankful for all advice on here.

Wiping should be slight clicks when working with decent wipers/scraper or should it be louder? What to expect?

Thanks