• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VP540 - Contour Cut Head Depth

veloxgraphics

As of this morning, my cutter does not drop the blade enough to even touch the vinyl. I thought maybe the electromagnet was getting too weak to counter the spring, so I upped the downforce... to no avail.

The service menu does not seem to have any blade travel adjustments.

Any direction / ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Try removing any dust covers and blow out all the accumulated dust and crud from the tool carriage. Pay special attention th the tool up/down mechanism.

It doesn't take much to interfere with the blade holder positioning mechanism.

veloxgraphics

bob - thanks for the tip. I just blew it out per your suggestion and am fairly certain it's clean now... cranked the pressure to 300gf and it's still not touching the vinyl during a test cut.

There's a pot on the cut carriage board that could be adjusted... if no other suggestions are presented i'll read more in the service manual and potentially tweak that if it's not going to impact the cut/print registration mark sensors.

Thanks!

veloxgraphics

Ran through service manual procedures for adjusting tool height and pressure... no change. I've taken a short video of the tool travel as i press the test cut button during the procedure.

[video=youtube;uXSeElBxHz0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXSeElBxHz0[/video]

I know we're not supposed to link to offsite photos on here... but i don't see any mention of videos in the statutes, so hopefully this is "ok"

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
To be sure...does yours look like this?
A) blade slightly sticking out the bottom
B) magnetic rod that goes in the top that is separate.
C) your cap is screwed on all the way only leaving the tip showing.
D) The lip is flush against the receiver.
Just checking.

blade.jpg

OOPS...edit* Just saw you had a video and I watched it. Ignore this photo.

Ragnabrok

no effect from cranking the force? usually the cut carriage board is faulted. Something about the voltage regulators.

It's a cheap part, and easy replace. just be sure to adjust the crop mark outlevel voltage, if you use the crop-cut feature anyways, since it comes out of the box at more or less 0.

less likely to cause this issue, but might play a part is the cut carriage cable, but when that is the problem it's pretty binary, either it works or it doesn't.