• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VS-540 Substance UltraCurve Profile?

Rev Designs

I have been using the Substance Ultracurve for awhile now with my VP-300, however i just started to use my VS-540 to print on this and the profiling is way different! I've been at it for awhile and cannot seem to produce the same results. Is there anyone out there using this combination that would point me in the right direction or share what they found to work with their VS-540 and this material? I'm also running the dual CMYK setup as well.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

That media product looks like a competitive offering to Convex media. I assume that you are building your own profiles for this media, as the manufacturer does not currently publish any via their web site. What challenges are you seeing on the VS that you're not having on the VP?

Rev Designs

That media product looks like a competitive offering to Convex media. I assume that you are building your own profiles for this media, as the manufacturer does not currently publish any via their web site. What challenges are you seeing on the VS that you're not having on the VP?

Correct. With the VP i was able to take the MCVP and adjust the single color limits from 100% accross down to 90-95-95-70. I also was using the (w pass) option and Max impact for the prints. This provided great smoothness in the prints along with vibrant colors that I was able to color match almost all the colors besides certain oranges. I have tried to mimic this task with the VS and the prints are coming out "muddy" and not as vibrant. Along with that the prints are spotty or grainy and not as smooth as the VP was providing.

The VS Series has a different printhead (DX5) than the VP Series (DX4), and as such, is a completely different animal. The easiest course of action would be to contact the media manufacturer (Substance) and inquire into the availability of media profiles for the VS. Frankly, the approach that you are taking (reducing the ink limits to an existing media profile) is hugely flawed, and profiles should never be edited in this manner, unless you then go on and rebuild the rest of the media profile (re-linearize, Limit Total Ink, and finally, a new ICC). Then again, if you were able to so this (requires a spectrophotometer and profile package), you would likely be building custom profiles to begin with, rather than working on editing canned profiles.

woolly

We use vinyl 3 max impact and don't seam to have a problem on our vs but was a real pain to get the 3 major colours good enough as the orange is out of range according to two different spectrometer

Rev Designs

The VS Series has a different printhead (DX5) than the VP Series (DX4), and as such, is a completely different animal. The easiest course of action would be to contact the media manufacturer (Substance) and inquire into the availability of media profiles for the VS. Frankly, the approach that you are taking (reducing the ink limits to an existing media profile) is hugely flawed, and profiles should never be edited in this manner, unless you then go on and rebuild the rest of the media profile (re-linearize, Limit Total Ink, and finally, a new ICC). Then again, if you were able to so this (requires a spectrophotometer and profile package), you would likely be building custom profiles to begin with, rather than working on editing canned profiles.

Thank you for this information, looks like I may be looking into profiling here in the future!