• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VS-540 Suddenly Leaking Cyan

david6211

Came in this morning to find a huge puddle of blue ink underneath the machine....of fun! We have the 440cc ink cartridges installed and it is damn near empty. The machine alerted that they all needed to be removed and shook up. That was yesterday morning and no issues with printing at all. The cartridges were fully seated so I have no idea what is up with it. Any ideas?

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
This happened to our VS-540 about 3 weeks ago with the metallic channel.
It ended up being a ruptured damper, which also killed the head :(

Take the cover off the head parking side of the machine and have a look and see if there is ink everywhere in there like what happened with ours.
I really do hope it isn't a repeat of what we went through with the head and you get away with a cheap damper replacement.

brightbanner

i like vivid color

Take the cover off the head parking side of the machine and have a look and see if there is ink everywhere in there like what happened with ours.
I really do hope it isn't a repeat of what we went through with the head and you get away with a cheap damper replacement.

+1

I've heard that, unless you're using the metallic or white ink often, that those will gum up in your lines really easily - I could see how that might lead to a damper issue.
Did you have to flush those lines as well?

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I've heard that, unless you're using the metallic or white ink often, that those will gum up in your lines really easily - I could see how that might lead to a damper issue.
Did you have to flush those lines as well?

The machine automatically runs an ink circulation job on those channels every few hours to keep the ink "fresh" in the lines.
We didn't flush any lines after the damper and head replacement.

Yea that's one thing I like about this machine - the person I heard that from made it sound like if you only use your metallic or white seldomly - once or twice a month - even the periodic cleaning/circulation may not be enough.
If you use them once a week or more I'd bet you're fine.

david6211

What side is the ink leaking from? The left side where the ink goes in or the interface side w/ the waste toner bottle?

It was leaking where the cartridge is inserted into the machine. Had a Roland rep come look at it today. All lines where secure and no leaks after cleaning it or during a print job. One thing we did find is the cartridge is way different from the other cartridges with only a foil cap( the others have a plastic cap for the needle to go into). This is a factory cartridge and not an aftermarket version too. We are waiting for new ones to show tomorrow so we can check it out.

Foil? Yea that's weird. My gut thought was the cartridge wasn't fully inserted or came loose some how, but you said earlier they were all fully seated.
I don't recall ever seeing a foil cap - maybe they sent you a cartridge for a different machine?

david6211

Cartridge Images

Added some images of what we had. After installing the new cyan cartridges yesterday...so far so good!

Attachments

• Orig Cyan.jpg
    Orig Cyan.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Cyan #1.jpg
    Cyan #1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Cyan Cont.jpg
    Cyan Cont.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 102