• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vs-540

ScottyAdams

Hey guys,

Im new so bare with me...We just got our printer in last week. So I'm just starting to play with different materials and profiles. Im printing on a 13 0z glossy banner material. When the print comes out the ink is very "dotty" (if you can understand what I mean). I am not getting a consistant printed color. What could be the cause of this and how can rectify the issue. I want to get the issue figured out before printing at full scale size. Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help.

Wiggum PI

Maybe up your heat settings to close to max to start, or it might just be the top layer of material,try pulling a bit more through.

ScottyAdams

Im using a generic banner profile that came with versaworks and the material is emerald gloss banner 13 oz. Ive tried a few different profiles and all have this effect. Heat is set at max 112

Go to the manufacturers web page and see if they have profiles for the media you are using. It sounds like a profile issue to me. If they don't have a profile then you may be able to use one from another manufacturer like Oracal.

Mainframe

Set your heat to 90, dryer to 94, try that, also try gcv profile and also sign and display.

Worth a shot

Hey guys,

Im new so bare with me...We just got our printer in last week. So I'm just starting to play with different materials and profiles. Im printing on a 13 0z glossy banner material. When the print comes out the ink is very "dotty" (if you can understand what I mean). I am not getting a consistant printed color. What could be the cause of this and how can rectify the issue. I want to get the issue figured out before printing at full scale size. Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help.

There can be many causes of 'dotty' or speckled solids. In addition to the things already mentioned (temperature settings), these can include:

Bidirectional alignment - this should have been performed by the installer of the printer. You can run a user-level bidi calibration as well (check your Roland user manual for instructions for this).
Head height - high setting will likely show more speckling in solids.
Head speed - slowing down the carriage speed while printing can reduce the appearance of spotty solid colors by improving drop accuracy.
iCC profile - if the speckling is more visible in brighter colors (highlights), the ICC profile may be using more K dots than it should, resulting in speckled highlight colors. If you have the tools to build profiles you can create your own ICC profile so to improve this.

The other option here is to try other media profiled from various sources like manufacturers of media, or distributors, or any other sources thar you can find, and then test.

In general, scrim banner medias tend to hide print artifacts more than most other medias do, so if you are having problems with banner media, you may also have similar issues with other media types too. Hopefully you get this sorted out. Good luck.

Last edited:

tdgraphics

I know this may sound stupid, but the first time I ran banner through my first Roland printer, I had similar results.

I found it to be that I had put the roll of banner on the printer the wrong way round so it was in fact printing on the back of the material.

All the banner material I have used has the printable side on the inside of the roll, not the outside in the way digital vinyl does.

I know this is a long shot, but I had a similar problem when I got my first machine.

Neil

Fatboy

I know this may sound stupid, but the first time I ran banner through my first Roland printer, I had similar results.

I found it to be that I had put the roll of banner on the printer the wrong way round so it was in fact printing on the back of the material.

All the banner material I have used has the printable side on the inside of the roll, not the outside in the way digital vinyl does.

I know this is a long shot, but I had a similar problem when I got my first machine.

Neil

+1

scuba_steve2699

Neil

Did the same thing first time I printed canvas!

WCSign

mine did the same thing.. did you ever get it figured out?

I had to get a custom profile made, turn heat down

2B

what program was it designed in? was the design done in RGB or CMYK?

Temps are too high,