• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VS 640 cleaning issue...

Constantine

Hello.

My VS 640 has been printing beautifully ever since cleaning the encoder strip. The quality of the print is just like it was when new. The machine has developed a strange habit lately and cleans itself a lot more than before. It will, actually, stop mid-print and do a cleaning, then continue. It'll actually do this on each and every print and depending on the size of the print, it'll do it more than once. This is something that has started happening the past couple of weeks. Any ideas on why the machine would stop and clean itself so often?

Thanks in advance.
Constantine Pappas
C & K Designs, LLC
Weatherford, TX

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Did you check the auto-clean settings on the printer, have they changed?

I know our XR-640 ignores whatever we have it set to, and cleans whenever it wants. Not as often as you mentioned though.

Constantine

Did you check the auto-clean settings on the printer, have they changed?

I know our XR-640 ignores whatever we have it set to, and cleans whenever it wants. Not as often as you mentioned though.
Yes, I checked the Periodic Clean setting and it's at "None.". It used to only clean once every 8 hours, or if we were running it all day. However, it never used to stop in the middle of a job to clean itself.

Thanks for the reply.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Yes, I checked the Periodic Clean setting and it's at "None.". It used to only clean once every 8 hours, or if we were running it all day. However, it never used to stop in the middle of a job to clean itself.

Thanks for the reply.

Strange. Did you recently switch to 3rd party inks by any chance? I seem to remember that being a theory for unnecessary cleaning.

We switched to Nazdar a few years back and it seems to clean more since then, but I just ignore it now. If it was stopping in the middle of every other print however I'd be looking into a solution, those lines suck when they show up in your prints.

Constantine

Strange. Did you recently switch to 3rd party inks by any chance? I seem to remember that being a theory for unnecessary cleaning.

We switched to Nazdar a few years back and it seems to clean more since then, but I just ignore it now. If it was stopping in the middle of every other print however I'd be looking into a solution, those lines suck when they show up in your prints.
No, we didn't change anything. Same inks (Roland), same media, same everything. Just started to happen all on its own.

Ultraman

Ultraman
Hi! I have experienced this before. Firstly stop printing and do not print anymore until you solve the problem bcos if you do the excessive cleaning will leak out from your dampers seal and short the print head. Like above check your periodical cleaning and set to none or 360minutes(I set it to every six hours). If that didn't solve your problem then you most properly you had upgraded your Versaworks 6.0 so therefore you must also update your firmware accordingly. With every two minutes self cleaning, most properly your captop is dead and not draining so you need a new captop. Hope that helps you.

Constantine

Hi! I have experienced this before. Firstly stop printing and do not print anymore until you solve the problem bcos if you do the excessive cleaning will leak out from your dampers seal and short the print head. Like above check your periodical cleaning and set to none or 360minutes(I set it to every six hours). If that didn't solve your problem then you most properly you had upgraded your Versaworks 6.0 so therefore you must also update your firmware accordingly. With every two minutes self cleaning, most properly your captop is dead and not draining so you need a new captop. Hope that helps you.
Thanks for the reply. I haven't upgraded VW or firmware for years. My VW is version 5.5.1 and firmware is 2.90. I saw a post in myversacamm forum that said the printer is having a hard time reading the chips in the ink cartridges and the machine may think I'm running 3rd party ink. I'm running Roland ink. I read this is possibly the servo board. I'll have to review this further. Thank you. As for the captop, it's a pretty new top and I know for certain it's draining, because I can watch the level in the drain bottle rise.

Ultraman

Ultraman
Firstly don't use different brand ink cartridges bcos Roland can detect that and weird things can happen. Update your firmware first then try to see if it still doing the self cleaning, if problem exist then uninstall VersaWorks and re-install again but your job queue and profile will be lost. In future download your profile on the desktop folder as you might need to either re-initialize or install VersaWorks again.

Constantine

Firstly don't use different brand ink cartridges bcos Roland can detect that and weird things can happen. Update your firmware first then try to see if it still doing the self cleaning, if problem exist then uninstall VersaWorks and re-install again but your job queue and profile will be lost. In future download your profile on the desktop folder as you might need to either re-initialize or install VersaWorks again.
Is there any issues with me updating my firmware from 2.9 right away to the 5.3 that I see is available for my printer? Thanks.

Constantine

You should be fine, I've done big jumps in the past without any issues.
Thanks. I did so already and printed a job yesterday with it and it didn't stop to clean itself. I did change out a couple of the older cartridges to newer ones as I was told 2 year old cartridges will trigger the machine to clean itself often. Not sure if it was the firmware update or swapping out the cartridges that did the trick, but it printed fine yesterday.

Thanks again.