• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wall Mural vinyl recommendation

Pideas

I run a HP Latex printer. What's everyone's go to adhesive vinyl material for large wall mural graphics?
I want to switch away from my current vinyl material and wanted to see what others are using or recommend.
Also, do you normally use removable vinyl or permanent vinyl?

Dan360

+1 for 40c, hasn't given us any issues. If you like a thicker material you can just use a thicker laminate on it.

a77

I like IJ40 for walls too. It's a bit lower tack though... so I ran into a few issues with poor wall surface. One project, the wall was super bumpy, so the vinyl didn't have much chance. The other problem wall had a paint that just didn't like vinyl, the adhesive barely could hold the vinyl on.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We use removable vinyl if it will need to be removed in a relatively short period of time, we use permanent vinyl when it needs to be permanent. We will use a cast vinyl when there is a lot of texture on the wall to conform to.

Pideas

We normally do a 1" overlap as well.

I always question the perm vs removable vinyl because I have customers who want the wall graphic up for only a few years. The permanent vinyl is sometimes tough to remove while the removable may not hold up past a few years.

Reveal1

Seems like a landslide vote for 40c. Use lots of 40c on our 560, 3/4" overlap, reverse your tiles (bottom of panel 2 follows bottom of panel 1) for panel to panel color control. Alcohol clean paint (spray on cloth and wipe).

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
We clean an area of the wall with Alcohol and do a adhesion test with fishing weights overnight with 4 or 5 different materials. The wall tells us what material to use. We've used everything from IJ35c to Avery 1105EZRS to Orafol 3651HT and others.

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
We have used IJ40 in the past on several wall wraps and most of them have done well. As others have said on this thread, each wall is going to be different and needs to be tested. We have one client in particular where several of their wall wraps with IJ40 have failed, they are willing to spend and have the dollars to support using IJ180, we haven't a single issue with one of the wraps installed with IJ180. If you're lucky enough to get the client to repaint the wall or catch them in the construction phase, they should paint with a non low-VOC paint. Low-VOC paints do not like wraps, and textured finishes do not like anything other cast films that are heated in, we usually do this with a heat gun and a rolly-pro.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
If you're going to use 40c you have to clean the wall almost perfectly or you're going to have failures. And if you have to do even 1 wall twice its not worth the time and effort for the difference in material cost. We've reverted back to 180cv3 and then we don't have to worry about what paint is on the wall. Basic wipe down and easy install. Never had a wall fail with that. We've also used a lot of General Formulations Wallmark and Roughmark. Both great products. Wall mark is 6mil for smooth walls and Roughmark is for rough walls. Never really had any issues with adhesion with those products.

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
If you're going to use 40c you have to clean the wall almost perfectly or you're going to have failures. And if you have to do even 1 wall twice its not worth the time and effort for the difference in material cost. We've reverted back to 180cv3 and then we don't have to worry about what paint is on the wall. Basic wipe down and easy install. Never had a wall fail with that. We've also used a lot of General Formulations Wallmark and Roughmark. Both great products. Wall mark is 6mil for smooth walls and Roughmark is for rough walls. Never really had any issues with adhesion with those products.

I've heard of this stuff over the years, but I am too stubborn to switch from 3M. We might give this stuff a shot given its pricing vs. IJ180.

Grizzly do you usually laminate this? We go with a matte finish for all interior work.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
I've heard of this stuff over the years, but I am too stubborn to switch from 3M. We might give this stuff a shot given its pricing vs. IJ180.

Grizzly do you usually laminate this? We go with a matte finish for all interior work.

We don't laminate Wallmark. It's 6mil vinyl so it's easy to install. The material is matte but I would say if your printing on a solvent printer it would be more of a satin finish rather than matte. We print with the matte mode on the Colorado 1650.
Comparing it IJ180cv3 is probably not totally fair. 180cv3 is a much better product.