• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Wall Wraps

CL Visual

We do A LOT of wall wraps. We use all the regular wall films like avery 2611 and phototex when the job calls for it. Our go to is IJ180cv3 with 8520 lam. After years of trying products, the ij180 is just perfect for most applications.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
No offense, but does *every* post have to be a commercial for FireSprint?

I guess we have been pretty active lately. You can get TexWalk from most suppliers (Midwest Sign & Screen, Grimco, Etc) and print it yourself too. It works really well and sticks to darn near everything.

Manuel Upton

I am in the process of testing the Arlon DPF 8200 High Tack vinyl. Anyone have experience with it? The majority of the walls that we're doing are for long term use... being removable is not a necessity for me.
My supplier recommended the DPF 8200 to us for a similar job. I haven't tried it yet. Please let us know how it works. As for using 290 lam on 3165, in my opinion is way overkill. You're spending twice as much on lam as the vinyl. We use a much cheaper calendered lam for wall graphics.

rawjahprintshop

hey, guys what do you recommend as the best laminate for a wall picture using the IJ40C Vinyl? Also, do you recommend this liquid lamination? Ive NEVER had experience with it?
thanks!

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Try Retac from Drytac. It has a high coat-weight of microsphere removable adhesive which adheres really well to walls and even after years of application it won't hurt the wall at removal. Best of all, the films have a texture so you don't laminate it. What you are doing now probably costs $900-$1000 for a "kit' of vinyl and lam (plus labor) and these rolls are less than $500 without the extra step of laminating. The product is fantastic...available in Sand, Smooth Matte, Canvas, and Linen.

rawjahprintshop

I read some info on this and other threads but the info was writtin in 2017+ for wall wraps.
What are you guys charging per sq ft for wall wraps and do you include labor in this price?

ive seen some include it, and some not include it, so ive also seen a wide range of prices so i
personally dont like having to deal with that... I wish there was a one-and-done material for all
wall types... but like my dad said.. Wish in the one hand.. S*it in the other, and see which one fills up faster!

is that around now in 2023, perhaps?

Thanks in advance!

Signgrl

I'm going to do a couple wall wraps in my home with Arlon DPF 4200. Canvas. I'm impressed with the product and no lamination. Plus it looks awesome and classy. Price is great too!

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
Hi Mark, how does Retack handle fairly fresh low VOC paint? Are sample rolls available?

We've even been using general formulations motomark 4mil with high tack for some of our customers who like to paint way to close to when they want us to wrap the wall. It works great even on the slickest paint. Just need to make sure you don't accidentally get two areas of adhesive stuck to themselves as it's near impossible to pull apart without stretching.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Hi Mark, how does Retack handle fairly fresh low VOC paint? Are sample rolls available?

We've even been using general formulations motomark 4mil with high tack for some of our customers who like to paint way to close to when they want us to wrap the wall. It works great even on the slickest paint. Just need to make sure you don't accidentally get two areas of adhesive stuck to themselves as it's near impossible to pull apart without stretching.
I can't tell you scientifically why it adheres to freshly painted walls....but it just does. I've (knock on wood) not seen a failure. The adhesive can touch itself, too, without ruining the print.

rawjahprintshop

Moto mark is not a wall material?
I used motomark in the past before Substance was invented for Motocross graphics, and its a VERY VERY aggressive adhesive. am i understand this correctly that your using that on the wall?
I would think yeah its going to stay no problem, but the adhesive is so damn strong you might pul the wall down with you while taking it off... (not really, but you know what im saying... ITS TACKY)

CanuckSigns

If the client has the budget, phototex opaque is the way to go, but if not I've had really good results with drytac retac, it's got a thick very tacky adhesive that is also very removable.

depps74

We do an adhesion test whenever possible. Our two main go-to vinyls are Avery 2611 and 3M IJ40. We will go to IJ35 or 180 if the first two don't pass the adhesion test.

Lamination will vary depending on traffic/location, but the majority do get laminated. We haven't had any mural failures in 5-6 years doing it this way, only on smaller (24x24) logo decals in an arena.
Hey Dan what is your process for adhesion testing?

The problem isn't the material - its most likely LOW VOC paint or too much texture. You need to do wall adhesion tests. 3m sells them. But most of the time 3-4 alcohol washes does the trick. We use ij 180 CV3 with Oracal 210 Lam.
You should never use a calendar laminate on a cast media . The shrink rate of the 210 can pull the ij180 and cause a failure . 210 for wall wraps Is horrible cause it has one of the highest shrink rates of all the calendar laminate.

stamford signs

we had a 3M rep at our shop. Received very good info on vinyls.

Most important on the wall wraps is what the wall is painted with. Zin primer is the best, let it sit for a week, then install..