• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

We should follow each other on Twitter.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Twitter, Facebook, and all of the other instant crap gives every appearance of being an absurd waste and abuse of technology.

Why anyone would rely these annoying gimmicks for anything is beyond my ken. Especially in lieu of a simple phone call, preferably from an actual telephone, or merely showing up.

WildWestDesigns

Twitter, Facebook, and all of the other instant crap gives every appearance of being an absurd waste and abuse of technology.

Why anyone would rely these annoying gimmicks for anything is beyond my ken. Especially in lieu of a simple phone call, preferably from an actual telephone, or merely showing up.

Rely on? No.

But make no mistake it has it's place and it can generate revenue, I know it has for me. More and more people communicate through the computer rather then in person or on the phone in a verbal conversation. I would say 90% of my business is communicated through the computer in some shape form or fashion. It just allows for more flexibility on both sides with regard to communication.

There is a saying that is quite appropriate for this:

"Change with the times or the times change you."

Now, I don't know about your specific situation, you might have a reason (or reasons) why FB/Tweeter etc are irrelevant at this stage in the game. However, if you are just coming into the business world (doesn't really matter what business at this stage) and your are going to be in the world for a long time to come, it's something that you should be using. May not have to understand it. Hell, you can hire someone to do that for you, but you should at least be using it especially the longer you are going to be out in the work force. It's just way to underestimated. It really is.

allamericantrade

times have changed. My main accounts arent even in the same state I am in. I ship 70% of my work out now. Google rates web site now by using social media. I have yet to make a twitter account and looking into it now. I'll be sure to revisit this thread

TheSnowman

I anticipate you being 85 years old, because you are the grumpiest old man I've ever seen type. Try not being Johnny Raincloud once in a while.

thinksigns

SnowFlake
So the local paper put out a list of the 100 Things to Eat in Memphis Before You Die. I created a google map of it and tweeted a link (including the reporter's twitter account). She finally saw it today and re-tweeted it. It was then sent out by the paper's main twitter account and is getting RT'd by many around town as we speak. Already picked up two new followers. Pretty exciting.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-07-18 at 3.32.51 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-07-18 at 3.32.51 PM.png
    145.7 KB · Views: 82

signworldusinc

Merchant Member
So the local paper put out a list of the 100 Things to Eat in Memphis Before You Die. I created a google map of it and tweeted a link (including the reporter's twitter account). She finally saw it today and re-tweeted it. It was then sent out by the paper's main twitter account and is getting RT'd by many around town as we speak. Already picked up two new followers. Pretty exciting.

that's a great strategy to get more people to follow you

Moze

I created a personal Twitter account but never have really used it.

I'll be honest - I got lost on the "@'s" and "#'s" and what not. Made me feel old that I didn't quite get how it worked. Still don't. Still feel old.

Also, I'm curious if Twitter is similar to LinkedIn in that there are members that seem to be what I call: "collectors"? It seems there are a lot of people on LinkedIn that are just trying to "collect" as many connections as they can. I've had people send me invites that I can pretty much bet I'll never do business with. I've sent messages to some of those "collectors" offering my services as well as offering to promote them if the opportunity arises - and simply don't get a response. And at that point, I see no reason to be connected. I do however receive responses from individuals that don't seem to simply be "collecting".

thinksigns

SnowFlake
I'm very far from a Twitter expert. There are "collectors", but most of the businesses on there are not.

I have a LinkedIn account, but it doesn't do anything for business.

J

john1

I use twitter, instagram and linkedin. Never gotten any business from either. Although i have a tumblr and received a small job once from it but that's it. Had Facebook for a while and received nothing but tire kickers wanting stickers.

I think it's all a waste of time and i am ashamed to have the time to waste on it lol

The best use of your internet time as far as getting new leads is learning some simple SEO for your website. It has paid off for me and i didn't have to spend thousands by hiring someone. Can be self taught to work decent.