• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Web Hosting Space

MatthewTimothy

Hello :signs101:

I placed an ad in the classifieds in regards to some server space I have for lease. I am upgrading to a VPS hosting account from my provider so I was wanting to lease out my remaining slots on my server. I have a total of 10 slots available. Each slot includes:

5 email account

10gb monthly bandwidth

half hour a month updates

Web server is located on the East Coast and has A guaranteed 99% uptime. I originally was looking for sites with NO databases, BUT if you have a small CMS I dont mind doing a database. Databases will be secured with individual user assigned credentials. All CMSs are available (Joomla, Wordpress, Drupal). If you are looking at a database I will install ONLY the default CMS, everything else is up to you. If you are needing any other files loaded prior to installation please feel free to contact me. Any additional monthly maintenance needed is billed @ 24.50 a month. Any questions please feel free to contact me.

(originally had this in the membership area but I was told try it here)

Justin

I'd hate to ask you this, but how much are you paying a month? I pay $15.00 a YEAR, and could host 15, or so sites on my vps... If your knowledgeable about Linux.. Buyvm.net $15.00/yr :p

MatthewTimothy

I'd hate to ask you this, but how much are you paying a month? I pay $15.00 a YEAR, and could host 15, or so sites on my vps... If your knowledgeable about Linux.. Buyvm.net $15.00/yr :p

not just doing hosting but also updates and maintenance on sites. Just trying to break even and provide a solution that will allow someone to be worry free when it comes to their hosting and updates. My apologies if I didnt disclose that above when I mentioned I would perform updates for people.

boxerbay

just me maybe but i would not have another sign guy host my site. especially at the admin level where you could go in and cc all my private emails. I'm not saying you would but you could.

jfiscus

Rap Master
99% is not really that good anymore, I would think. That means every 100 minutes that your website is down for 1 minute, or out of all 365 days in a year; your website is completely accessible for 3+ days.

MatthewTimothy

99% is not really that good anymore, I would think. That means every 100 minutes that your website is down for 1 minute, or out of all 365 days in a year; your website is completely accessible for 3+ days.

um.... you are aware of what the 99% means arent you???

and the ACTUAL uptime is not just 99% its 99.9% for those that might understand what it means. :thumb:

MatthewTimothy

sounds to me like it means 3 days down every 1 year...

For newbies : 99.5% / 99.9% uptime guarantee explained.

A site that is “down” is as good as not having a site at all – no visitors, no traffic, no revenue, nothing – zilch. Because of this, a very high uptime guarantee percentage should be your top, or at the very least, major criterion when choosing a host.

Not too long ago, the hosting industry was looking at 99%, then later 99.5%. These days, some people say you should never settle for anything less than 99.9% as 99.9% beginning to become the "industry standard"/the norm. As more and more hosts offering 99.9%, those offering less than that will surely lose out in the competition simply because uptime is so important to website owners.

But what does this percentage really mean ? It is actually a simple calculation :

the total number of minutes in a month x (100-uptime%)/100
= 30days x 24hours x 60min x (100-99.9)/100
= 43200 x (0.1)/100
= 43.2 minutes (max downtime).

So, if it is 99.9%, it means your website should not be down for more than a total of about 43.2 minutes in a month. Mind you, the total number of minutes in a month is about 43200 minutes or 720 hours. So, 0.1% of downtime is actually very minimal. Out of this much time, your host should only down your site for a max of 43.2 minutes – whether it is for maintenance work, reboot, troubleshooting (because some monkey shares the same server as you and ran some mass emailing program/malicious script that cause CPU usage to go red ? :) ), change of failed hardware etc.

This does not mean that your site will be down for 43 minutes every month. That figure is actually the longest or maximum down time. Some good hosts might actually give you 100% uptime for months in a row in reality – even though they state 99.9% for the guarantee that they give. These are hosts that take care of their CPU / RAM / executable file security etc – overall server environment properly.

Logically, the more domains/websites you plan to host in a single account, the higher percentage you should look for.

Also, do know how committed a host is in honouring their guarantee. Do they just mention it in their marketing channels, eg websites etc. Or do they really specify it clearly in their “terms of service” (ToS) ? What kind of compensation they plan to honour if they exceed the agreed upon max downtime ? Not all host are willing to compensate for exceeding the max downtime. Honest and responsible hosts will refund the hosting fees you paid for a particular month upon you reporting to them that they had exceeded the max downtime - and this is stated clearly in their ToS.

Hope this mini article helps.