• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Website help, Wordpress.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Lets just say im a beginner with websites. I understand a little.
When i first had my website, i was a website builder and it worked fine. I moved to wix and it was ok, looked nice none the less.
Now i had someone come to my office saying they can optimise my site blah blah blah. They said i should change to wordpress ect. I know what wordpress is, i have a few friends that use it. So i changed to it. I had a hard time searching for a theme, so i went with the Avada fusion builder. and made my page and they said they'd do the rest. OK. i now have an SSL error and mentioned it to them, they said they'll fix it. (i know what it is)
So now, these guys have changed my theme to a DIVI theme (similar) they said its better. ok. i still have an SSL error which they yet to mention to me. my website is not optimised and now im getting the shits from these people and about to tell them to get lost when i get back to work in the next few weeks.

So now, i want to do it my self again and get some help and tips from who ever i can.
I'll continue to use wordpress.
I have the avada theme, should i just continue to use that or find another theme? if so where to look?
Im not brilliant with SEO stuff, but i have Yoast SEO and can just get the premium version of it.
I'l buy a SSL certificate, id like to have an online store soon.

Anything else?

I'll probably get rid of all the sliders ect. not a huge fan of them, but i thought i'd try them out.

My website is www.completegraphics.com.au (it is safe)

Thanks.

ams

I used to be a web designer. Don't use Wordpress, it has extreme security flaws and are easy to hack and break. It's also similar to Vistaprint where it's pre-made templates and if you aren't a webmaster or know what you are doing, your site will look like a million other ones. I find wordpress to be very unprofessional and they insert so many extra unneeded codes it's insane. More web designers are using it with their businesses because they can make a customers site in under an hour and charge $999 for it, then do the exact thing design to the next customer..

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I used to be a web designer. Don't use Wordpress, it has extreme security flaws and are easy to hack and break. It's also similar to Vistaprint where it's pre-made templates and if you aren't a webmaster or know what you are doing, your site will look like a million other ones. I find wordpress to be very unprofessional and they insert so many extra unneeded codes it's insane. More web designers are using it with their businesses because they can make a customers site in under an hour and charge $999 for it, then do the exact thing design to the next customer..

I understand what you're saying. and i do agree. But at the moment, i'll be using wordpress untill i can afford to pay more money on a better site.

particleman

I have done a lot of WP sites. I would recommend Securi or wordfence plugin for security. Cloudflare is also a good thing to use. The SSL issue isn't related to your use of wordpress but at your host. You'll just need to buy and install an SSL certificate. Woocommerce is good for ecommerce and basic products.

There is really nothing wrong with using wordpress outside of securing it properly. Your site is clean and functional, isn't that all that matters?

AKwrapguy

What about Adobe Muse? Has anyone had any luck with that? I've messed around with it a little and while it's not going to give you all the bells and whistles is can create a responsive site which is now a big plus for the way google is doing their search now.

peavey123

I'm thinking Particleman is right about your SSL certificate. Contact your hosting provider.

Nothing wrong with wordpress. Just keep it updated.

These page builders like Divi are pretty bad. Stay away if you can. Why? One main reason is because if you delete the plug-in you will be left with nothing but shortcodes and your site will look horrible.

Beaver builder seems to be the only non-destructive wordpress page builder. You can use to edit any theme by clicking and dragging. Also, most importantly if you uninstall the plug-in, your website won't break.

With yoast SEO and some time spent reading, you can get really good SEO results. It just takes time. Over 2017 I built a website to showcase our industrial products. Each product page is on the first page of google now and we're getting lots of orders through the website.

I'm thinking Particleman is right about your SSL certificate. Contact your hosting provider.

Nothing wrong with wordpress. Just keep it updated.

These page builders like Divi are pretty bad. Stay away if you can. Why? One main reason is because if you delete the plug-in you will be left with nothing but shortcodes and your site will look horrible.

Beaver builder seems to be the only non-destructive wordpress page builder. You can use to edit any theme by clicking and dragging. Also, most importantly if you uninstall the plug-in, your website won't break.

With yoast SEO and some time spent reading, you can get really good SEO results. It just takes time. Over 2017 I built a website to showcase our industrial products. Each product page is on the first page of google now and we're getting lots of orders through the website.
Is this your site? http://www.clutchgraphics.ca/ Cuz it's down...

ams

The website is clean in one aspect like white space, but it lacks the creativeness that a sign company's website needs. If you look at mine, it's pretty graphical and has more of that wow factor.
But yours is more like reading a diary. If that is what you want, then by all means keep it. But if you want to stand out and be unique, consider a custom website or at least buy a $10 professional template and modify it.

Bly

If you're looking at themes try Elegant Themes. WordPress Themes Loved By Over 430k Customers
They are easy to use and support is good if you pay for a subscription.
Having said that I am paying someone to do a new site for me -
I just don't have time and am finding it best to leave certain tasks to experts.

equippaint

Set a budget and work from that either paying someone else or buying a good theme and plugins if you do it yourself.
The money spent on web design for a basic non interactive site isnt for the technical aspect or talent, its just the raw time it takes. Nothing wrong with wordpress either. If you pay someone 500-1000 youre going to end up with a drupal or wordpress site.
Fwiw, i dont like simple design and whitespace. It seems only designers are into it and for some reason are convinced its what everyone wants. I like busy webpages with lots of pictures and organized crap all over. Just make sure it works on a phone and across browsers, nothing thats a drag on resources. I like busy signs too, bring on the border to border layouts. The only ones that seem to like basic and wide open are designers. What about what your non designer customers like? Do we just ignore them and tell them what they should want?
Its just like the restaurant trend of simple menus thinking that people cant handle choices. You go there and you want none if the 5 choices. Give me pages of stuff.

Sidney

I agree with many of the comments above. SSL certificate is needed, Securi or wordfence plugin for security etc. I like DIVI because it's clean, consistent and has a ton of options......you pay yearly, but worth the small investment. There are plenty of theme sites to choose from, but one of my favorite is Buy Plugins & Code from CodeCanyon (I am NOT affiliated with them in any way). Hope this helps:)

hershaljohn

Lets just say im a beginner with websites. I understand a little.
When i first had my website, i was a website builder and it worked fine. I moved to wix and it was ok, looked nice none the less.
Now i had someone come to my office saying they can optimise my site blah blah blah. They said i should change to wordpress ect. I know what wordpress is, i have a few friends that use it. So i changed to it. I had a hard time searching for a theme, so i went with the Avada fusion builder. and made my page and they said they'd do the rest. OK. i now have an SSL error and mentioned it to them, they said they'll fix it. (i know what it is)
So now, these guys have changed my theme to a DIVI theme (similar) they said its better. ok. i still have an SSL error which they yet to mention to me. my website is not optimised and now im getting the shits from these people and about to tell them to get lost when i get back to work in the next few weeks.

So now, i want to do it my self again and get some help and tips from who ever i can.
I'll continue to use wordpress.
I have the avada theme, should i just continue to use that or find another theme? if so where to look?
Im not brilliant with SEO stuff, but i have Yoast SEO and can just get the premium version of it.
I'l buy a SSL certificate, id like to have an online store soon.

Anything else?

I'll probably get rid of all the sliders ect. not a huge fan of them, but i thought i'd try them out.

My website is www.completegraphics.com.au (it is safe)

Thanks.
Wordpress is a good framework and give you free hand you don't need to buy SSL normally almost all hosting service provides free SSL you just need to install and you can use any plugin for that there is a 1 which is very easy with the name of simple SSL but for SEO stuff you can use Yoast SEO Plugin but you need to get some guidance from seo expert like you need to use keyword density in your content maximum 2.5 so there are some technical things for seo but you can learn from youtube there are alot of content. Good luck!