• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Website revamp

ucmj22

I dont have an image of the old to compare to, so you'll just have to trust me that its an improvement. We are still in the process of completing this one, but wanted to see what you guys thought in the mean time.

King's Food Service

ucmj22

seriously, come on broward county, and crest view, you guys are the last 2 on the site :p lol

I love googles new real time analytics

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
you need the bottom links to either move or be repeated somewhere. On my 23 inch monitor I don't even see the bottom links. If your customer does not scroll they will miss these and possibly skip the rest of your site

ucmj22

you need the bottom links to either move or be repeated somewhere. On my 23 inch monitor I don't even see the bottom links. If your customer does not scroll they will miss these and possibly skip the rest of your site

It was set up to be optimized for and iPad. that pad fills the screen perfectly, and actually the original thought was to not have a nav bar at all, and force people to go through all the pages, but we put the bar on after some thought.

Mike F

Layout is too "long", takes me 4 notches on my scroll wheel to make it to the nav menu. The nav buttons on the side don't really fit in well either. I'd stick the nav on the top and get rid of the buttons on the sides, and take advantage of the extra width that will give you. Looks like it was designed for a mobile device, so maybe keep the nav at the bottom as well as adding it to the top. Also don't think you need the image slider at the top of every page either, you're just pushing your content down. Any chance you could stick that image slider up top, to the right of the logo, then put a centered page title underneath? I feel like that would give you a bit more real estate for your content when the pages first load. Definitely lessen the gap at the top of the page as well, maybe even get rid of it completely (for some reason pages with gaps at the top always bug me). You want your visitors to be able to see as much content as possible without having to scroll.

I would see if you can get the whole layout to fit without scrolling by using a fixed width & height div with the overflow attribute for non-static content. Doing that would let you have only one nav, either at the top or bottom, and it would give the entire site a more unified look. You might even be able to stick the nav up top and squeeze in links to your social media sites at the bottom, if you have any.

edit: unless you're planning on only getting customers that visit your site through an Ipad, I would develop for the web first and foremost, then do a separate mobile site.

Last edited:

J Hill Designs

the problem is you gotta scroll down to the bottom to navigate...usually the bottom is left for legal mumbo jumbo so i usually never scroll

J Hill Designs

edit: unless you're planning on only getting customers that visit your site through an Ipad, I would develop for the web first and foremost, then do a separate mobile site.

this...

use css to differentiate the device being used to view, and have differing css code for ipad and normal browser

Mike F

I had to scroll to read your post....

Really? You've been a member since April, and you make this your first post? Way to contribute. :banghead:

Seriously though, your visitor having to scroll can have an impact on the effectiveness of your site. Once someone navigates to your website, if within 5 seconds they don't feel as if they're finding the information they're looking for, they're more likely to leave and look elsewhere. Here's a good read that explains it a little more in-depth: http://www.modomediagroup.com/2011/01/usability-five-second-rule-for-websites/

signswi

Nav needs to be available always (top or floating stuck to the bottom, whatever, million solutions) but there's no reason to avoid scroll -- "above the page" behavior tests as mostly nonsense, people have no issue scrolling.

However, the design does look like it's completely out of scale to the medium. It's the giant borders and way too offset drop shadow. It looks like you've accidentally zoomed in.

boxerbay

not crazy about the font. when i think "king" i think serifs or something a bit more regal. also not crazy about the color scheme. it has monochome b&w body but then an organic wood bg with coffee (been done) stain. at first i could not tell the icons left and right were part of a navigation. maybe add an arrow below icon. not crazy about fotter only nav. move those up top.

2NinerNiner2

I have to scroll when viewing the site on my iPad as I prefer using it in landscape mode :)

Primary nav at the top "somewhere", always :)

Dentafrice

Looks great on my 27".

Why not go with using AJAX to transition through the pages instead of making the user reload the entire interface to get to the next page? From what I see it's really only your center content that changes..

Make a function to change a content div, change the active button, and the title at the top and you have a live working nicely transitioned site.