• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weeding HTV??

bayviewsignworks

I will search forum but looking for any easy buttons. Printing on what we think is a good Roland HeatSoft Plus HTV. I have cut set to what is explained as the correct setting but when I weed it it takes the letters with it. These are small and bigger logo type going on our own businesses t-shirts.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I will search forum but looking for any easy buttons. Printing on what we think is a good Roland HeatSoft Plus HTV. I have cut set to what is explained as the correct setting but when I weed it it takes the letters with it. These are small and bigger logo type going on our own businesses t-shirts.
Did you do a test cut on the material before cutting it?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Make sure the offset setting for your blade is set correctly. It's a specific value related to the blade angle. If it's not on the packaging, you could probably find the value on Google. If the offset isn't set properly, circles won't complete 100% and corners might not cut 100% which makes they drag up whatever they are attached to while weeding.

Boudica

Make sure the offset setting for your blade is set correctly. It's a specific value related to the blade angle. If it's not on the packaging, you could probably find the value on Google. If the offset isn't set properly, circles won't complete 100% and corners might not cut 100% which makes they drag up whatever they are attached to while weeding.
So, I'm following this because while I have not yet had any experience with contour cutting HTV - I got the heads up this morning that I'm about to. What notable differences are there between cutting HTV, and everyday adhesive vinyl?

BigNate

the HTV tends to be slightly thicker of a media, making it much easier to weed. Also the tack is very low, so a slip when weeding doesn't necessarily kill the image.... If you can cut and place "everyday adhesive vinyl" then you should have no problem plotting HTV.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
So, I'm following this because while I have not yet had any experience with contour cutting HTV - I got the heads up this morning that I'm about to. What notable differences are there between cutting HTV, and everyday adhesive vinyl?

HTV is more rubbery and is thicker in most cases. If your cut settings are set properly and have a good blade, HTV should be easier to weed than vinyl in my experience.

Boudica

Got it - would you recommend a 60degree blade, or should a 45 in good shape suffice?

Stacey K

I like making signs
Are you sure you are cutting deep enough? Are you heating the vinyl on a heat press and then weeding? I use the heat press to weed HTV but with small letters or intricate designs, it takes them off so I weed cold. I usually don't make any adjustments to my cutter for 2 or 3 mil vinyl and regular HTV.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Adjust the "overcut" setting. Like value said, if the cut doesn't quiet complete it will weed the letters up with it. It's not as noticeable on regular vinyl but more apparent on HTV

bayviewsignworks

Just did a cut on my plotter and it weeded fine at (0 pressure but when I do same testa nd pressure on my VG-2 it doesn't work, all vinyl pulls up, and at 100 pressure.

bayviewsignworks

Just tried it on EasyWeed and that seems to be working on 70 pressure. Does this stuff, Roland HeatSoft PLUS, have a shelf life? What would be the difference as the settings stayed the same but the cut/weed is quite different.

BigNate

in my experience all HTV from different brands behaves slightly different on the plotter... you have to adjust and do a test every time you change the media. (okay, most times just a test to verify you set it correctly, but the first time you forget the test will be the first time it is off....) I plot with the vinyl at room temp, I also prefer weeding at room temp - but most of my staff prefers to weed with a little heat (barely warm) so the backer adhesive isn't as strong. I have used old samples of Easy Weed that were at least a decade old - not very scientific, but there were no observed problems.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
A lot of this depends on the specific media. We just switched from one with a backer that was barely tacky to one that has a medium tack and have noticed so much difference.

Firstly we can manage much more intricate print and cut designs without turning weeding into an issue and secondly we can weed a lot quicker as we’re not worried about pulling up something we’re not supposed to.

One note for VERY intricate stuff. If you’re not sure about weeding it, try transfer it first (before weeding) and then weed it once it’s on a nice high tack transfer. Slows you down a bit but it definitely helps on the really detailed stuff.

bayviewsignworks

A lot of this depends on the specific media. We just switched from one with a backer that was barely tacky to one that has a medium tack and have noticed so much difference.

Firstly we can manage much more intricate print and cut designs without turning weeding into an issue and secondly we can weed a lot quicker as we’re not worried about pulling up something we’re not supposed to.

One note for VERY intricate stuff. If you’re not sure about weeding it, try transfer it first (before weeding) and then weed it once it’s on a nice high tack transfer. Slows you down a bit but it definitely helps on the really detailed stuff.
What is your new, better, product if I might ask?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I’ll try get the brand but it’s made in Italy and only recently started selling in the UK. So doubt it’ll be anywhere beyond that!

it’s got a medium tack carrier sheet and is a 4 second press at 150 degrees C. I’ll try get the brand when I’m back in!

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
i use gerber plotters but use 3.5-4 grams force and slow my plotter down to 50% and that seems to do the trick with the 3 or 4 different brands of HTV i use . i have better luck with a sprocket feed than friction feed when doing small stuff.