• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weeding reflective

d fleming

You are supposed to weed reflective immediately after cutting as the adhesive tends to bond back with itself (on the other side of the cut). I have used Oralite 5600 and really like it. A few tips: make sure your cut weight is heavy enough to scar the wax paper, but not so heavy it cuts through the wax layer; be careful that the adhesive doesn't touch the unweeded part or weeded letters - a pain to separate again; Tape the reflective down before weeding so it doesn't move; make cuts between lines of text and weed one line at a time.

We do a fair number of firetrucks and I can say the 3M 680CR removable is awesome when you have to remove it. Costs a lot more, but great stuff. Nikkalite is the absolute worst to remove, even if it sticks to your table - 1/4" chips everywhere
+1 it needs to be weeded right after cutting. It should have been sent to you as RTA.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
I use the Oracal 5650RA all the time, also stock the 5600, and some 3M. Weeding can be painful & slow with any, but I've never experienced the stringy adhesive. Probably a bad roll or batch, maybe it was on the shelf too long and past it's prime.

gnubler

^^ It came from Signs365 so I doubt it was old stock, but possibly a bad batch. I didn't bother contacting them to ask about it...the job is done and I don't care enough.
Like Gino posted above, maybe printing or heat had something to do with the insane tackiness. It was full coverage printing.

Stormy Conner

weeding reflective sucks. I've had better success with reverse weeding though. (mask the whole thing, then weed away from the masking)
I do this with a lot of the small lettering for any vinyl. Especially for the little door plaques on hotel rooms and such. I sort of just figured out how to do it since I had like zero training, but when I did I was like why didn't I think of this before!

I just experienced weeding hell putting together a set of reflective graphics for an excavator. Printed on Oralite 5600, ordered from S365. There was quite a bit of lettering, nothing less than one inch tall, and weeding it all was very slow going. This material is so sticky there were strings of glue pulling up as I was weeding, I had to go back with a Q-tip dipped in remover to clean up all the vinyl before masking. Is this typical of all reflective vinyls or did I get an off batch?

Does anyone charge extra for weeding reflective material? This was "intricate weeding" as far as I'm concerned and will have a surcharge in the future. And absolutely no delicate or serif fonts, or letters smaller than one inch.
Maybe increase the plotter force? Do a test cut.