• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weird problem with Window Perf

Snappy

Hi all... have read a lot in here through the years, but don't post much. I've done quite a bit of window perf in my day, but have never run into this problem. I just put this on a few weeks back. 70/30 printed/laminated perf from Signs365. It appears as if the black back is turning white in a small area. Around the outside of that area, you can feel a faint ridge on the outside, as if it's sunk in a little bit. It's in an area of white, so it's almost impossible to see from the outside, but it's worrying my customer (and me) since you can see it plainly from the inside. Does anyone know what is causing this? Thanks!

Window Perf.jpg

De.signs Nanaimo

Second that, I had this happen, but I caught it before I left the install so was able to pull back enough to dig it out before the glue set up.

Snappy

It's strange though. You can see through the perf still from the inside, even where it's lighter. If it was a chunk of the liner, you'd think it would be solid and you wouldn't be able to see through the holes.

Also, I looked at the back of the glass multiple times during and after the install, and that spot wasn't there. It looked perfect. Now, it's pretty obvious from the inside, about eye level. The owner said it appeared about a week later... I walked in to talk to him about another sign, glanced at that window and noticed it immediately.

I did use some Rapid Remover to take some old adhesive off the window before the install. Then I thoroughly wiped down the window with Rapid Prep, then cleaned it once again with Rapid Tac. I wonder if some Rapid Remover made it through both cleanings and is eating up the adhesive under the vinyl? Also, I did have several bubbles and popped them by poking a hole in the laminate with a sharp Xacto, right in one of the perf holes. I noticed it appears as if it's running down from one perf hole and then spreading. Would it be possible for moisture to get in through a tiny hole in the lam and somehow harm the black? That doesn't make sense either though because I've done it without lam quite a few times and never had a problem.

Also, the discoloration follows the lines of holes, it's not just a random sized spot...

Like I said... I've done a lot of perf on vehicles and store-fronts and have never seen this.