• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Well that's a first - router bit chewed through dust boot! (F1612)

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We were routing some 1/2" gator foam this morning (anyone else cut this stuff with a router?) and somehow the dust boot jammed when doing a sheet cut and the bit actually carved out a chunk of it.

I can't wrap my head around how this is even possible. Other than the boot being chewed up and some aluminum shavings melted onto the collet, everything seems fine and we're been routing since the "event"

Using a 6mm single flute Upcut bit.... no way it could've flexed enough to reach a 1/2" over and do this damage. I tried to see if the dust boot bracket/assembly has any give to it and it really doesn't.

Any theories? I might send this to Summa and see if they can explain how this is even physically possible.

So far my only guess it's that it's due to this being a last minute rush job. :peace!:

I'm not even mad, just confused.

Attachments

• router.jpg
    router.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 133
  • router2.jpg
    router2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 91
  • router3.jpg
    router3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 99

JBurton

Signtologist
You'd be surprised both how much deflection a bit can have before breaking, and how much force the motors on a gantry moving at full tilt can produce. I'd wager it only hung up the boot and it bent until the router got it.