• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Wet application of 3M 180-mc. OK, or bad idea?

chrisinestes

It'd be super handy to be able to do a wet application of a green color over white in order to get the spacing correct for a white outline. I've used 180-mc, but never wet. Am I asking for trouble, or will it work as well as using 3M/Gerber 220?

Thanks!
Chris

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
You should never use a wet application with an air egress media. The channels trap the liquid. I don’t recall if 180-MC is air egress though.

2B

You should never use a wet application with an air egress media. The channels trap the liquid. I don’t recall if 180-MC is air egress though.

+1, do not mix wet with airchannels.

With proper registration markers, you will get perfect alignment.

chrisinestes

Both 7125 and 7725 are cast, 7725 is a little more resilient, and is on a clear liner. I'll use 7725 or Gerber 220, whichever my supplier has.

Thanks!

ikarasu

7125 is on a white paper liner. 7725 is the exact same as 7725, just on a plastic liner... It's superior for cutting small text, and good if you're trying to align multiple colors since it's a see through backer... But that's about it, both are cast and use the same adhesive. Not worth the premium if you don't need it.

As others have said... No liquids when using air egress. I'd find the matching Color in the 77xx series and use that if you want wet positionability .

unclebun

When we do vinyl over vinyl for outlines we just trim the carrier close to the letter, especially around the first and last letters, and along the top and bottom straight letters. Then tape it on and apply with hinge method. Do it day in and day out with no misregistration. This was the normal way to do everything before everything became a wrap.