• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What are your top sales and marketing strategies for the sign industry?

WhatsYourSign?

Finally, a thread where I can contribute something vs. asking for guidance!

We're constantly trying new things, but we've seen positive results with the below strategies:
  • Setting up Google Alerts to let us know any time a company is moving offices, relocating to the area, rebranding, or has been purchased

• Providing free "coming soon" signs to businesses we see with offices under construction

• Posting completed jobs on Facebook and tagging our clients

• Cold-knocking and dropping off marketing materials to area businesses

• Email marketing

Things we'll be testing in the near future (that I'd love to hear about your results with if you've tried it in the past):
  • Direct mail with coupon incentives

• Billboard advertising (we've done some of this, but are going to ramp this up and do it more heavily)
Things we haven't tested and are not planning to, but interested in hearing experiences from those that have:
  • TV

• Radio

equippaint

Persistent and targeted sales calls with a purpose will yield the most. The coming soon signs seem like a good idea too.
Radio, tv, direct mail and billboards are a total waste of money. Even before the internet, radio and tv were ineffective.

WhatsYourSign?

Persistent and targeted sales calls with a purpose will yield the most. The coming soon signs seem like a good idea too.
Radio, tv, direct mail and billboards are a total waste of money. Even before the internet, radio and tv were ineffective.

Who are you targeting with your calls? Small business owners? Marketing and/or facilities or professionals at medium-sized companies?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We're constantly trying new things, but we've seen positive results with the below strategies:
  • Setting up Google Alerts to let us know any time a company is moving offices, relocating to the area, rebranding, or has been purchased

Thanks for the great marketing ideas. We've been lucky to keep busy and growing from repeat and word of mouth clients over the years but I want to step things up this year.

Can you elaborate on the Google alerts portion? This seems like a great automated way to stay on top of things.

Thanks!

visual800

word of mouth here. Im still chasing new businesses by contacting them for quotes on new construction. I check local commercial leasing companies websites under their "news" tab and see who they have leased to. That has been most successful over the years. I have noticed the website does not generate traffic even though its on FB and a link to it in our emails. People just dont pay attention like they used to its almost like they dont take time. They would rather ask questions than do their own research.

mmblarg

It might be a bit common knowledge, but wrapping a company car/truck gets quite a bit of attention without the billboard fees. A lot of our clients come back to get more signs after a vehicle wrap because they had a spike in business (one client even used three different phone numbers - regular business phone listed on their website, one listed only on a billboard, and one listed only on his vehicle. He was able to track how much traffic he got based on who was looking at what advertisement.)

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Why spin your wheels running around trying to "PUSH" sales, when you can work on how you receive those inquiries?

What I mean by PUSH is you going out and putting a message in someone's ear when they are not seeking out your services. This would be like radio, sales calls, tv ads, mailers etc.

Work on how to receive those inquiries...those people actively seeking your services.

I like to focus on SEO and web presence. When someone wants a sign, they jump on Google, it used to be the phone book but not anymore. Try to get top position on Google, make your website superior, get on social media. Make sure your branding looks good and is cohesive across ALL platforms including online, business cards, flyers, vehicles, storefront signs/graphics. Make sure your branding inspires confidence, cohesiveness and professionalism. I don't know about you, but I can tell when someone puts thought and time into their online presence and it leaves the impression that they have it together and would do good having my business.

Have IMPRESSIVE and GOOD sign designs and photos online so people can see that you do good work ON TOP of having a stunning website.

If you visit locations, make sure your branding matches the graphics on your trucks/vehicles. Most people don't go to a "sign store", they have people come to them so your impression starts with your vehicle. I inspire confidence by having a nice, newer-model service truck, branding that matches what they saw on the website and whats on my business card and e-mail signature. The truck is (as best as I can keep it) clean, meticulously organised, fully-stocked and it shows that I mean business. I have a service-body truck, so when I show up to a bid I pop open the doors to get my ruler and color-chart, exposing all the tools / supplies to let them know that I can handle whatever they throw at me.

All those things will put you in the lead when people are searching you out. Capture those people in that moment VS going out a selling them on something that they are not actively looking for.

Last edited:

IvoryHoward

Checking if an email address is valid or managing your email campaigns will benefit both your business and the people who send you emails. Use these online email verifier to make sure that all emails you get are real (if you can I validate email addresses in real-time - http://getprospect.com/email-verifier ). To grow the number of people who read your newsletter, the more mailing lists you have, so it takes less time. You don't need to pay a consultant to find people who might buy your products on the internet. These technologies can also be used for other things, like message management and email delivery. Your team members will know where to get the best resources for you if you tell them where to find them,

Last edited:

Precision

It's all about Google search. If you don't hit the first page on Google your phone ain't gonna ring. Cold calling blows.

Precision

Yeah, your right, it' not my cup of tea.
Our web presence, in our local area brings an average of about 150 to 170 prospective calls a month. It is all tracked, recorded, back end website that shows your all that's happened since you started advertising this way. We get an email notice with every phone lead or form lead. It all comes in one all package. Tells you who the caller is, what city, records your conversation and saves it all for you in your own personal database.

The phone rings off the hook, daily.

Yeah, your right I'm really bad at cold calling. One thing I can tell you is there's 10 ways to skin a cat. It definitely ain't cold calling for me. Internet is where it is at.

Have fun cold calling.

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Yeah, your right. Not my cup of tea. Our web presence in our local area brings an average 150 to 170 times a month. It is all tracked, recorded, we get an email notice with every phone or form lead. It all comes in one all package. Phone rings off the hook, daily.
Yeah, your right I'm really bad at cold calling. 10 ways to skin a cat. It definitely ain't cold calling for me. Internet is where it is at.

Have fun cold calling.
You can keep your reactive nonsense google calls. I'll choose the customers that I want to work with. I don't want my phone ringing off the hook, I'm too busy making money to deal with that.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Yeah, your right. Not my cup of tea. My phone rings 200 times a month. I'd be missing those prospects if I was out cold calling. Your tight I'm really bad at it.
Don't diss on what needs to be done for a business that needs new Business! Google prospects can be good and bad.
If your small, and trying to build business relationships in a community, the effort to reach out can go a long way. It's not surprising that other new but humble businesses want to support other new but humble businesses. It really is, and still a thing.

Precision

I'm not dissin on anyone. Just saying you should dream big. Try and chase the big fish. Your time, effort and skill can pay you a dime or a dollar you pick.

Don't mean to diss anyone. My apologies is that's how I came across.

But.........I still think cold calling blows! Lol!

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I'm not dissin on anyone. Just saying you should dream big. Try and chase the big fish. Your time, effort and skill can pay you a dime or a dollar you pick.

Good for you, you don't need to. But you are dissing the very valid suggestion. You gave no insight to how you got started... Google only?! You're either really new to the business, or you are only offering template products online. If you specialize in "custom" it requires a genuine knowledge of your clients needs. Which requires research, of your local community. And if you're looking to drum up business to share your capabilities... I've said enough.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica

No offense taken but I do deal with the big fish and get paid in dollars. I generally keep my hand close but can promise you that I have a very impressive customer base and very little nonsense. It is from years of relationship building and beating the streets.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Yeah, your right, it' not my cup of tea.
Our web presence, in our local area brings an average of about 150 to 170 prospective calls a month. It is all tracked, recorded, back end website that shows your all that's happened since you started advertising this way. We get an email notice with every phone lead or form lead. It all comes in one all package. Tells you who the caller is, what city, records your conversation and saves it all for you in your own personal database.

The phone rings off the hook, daily.

Yeah, your right I'm really bad at cold calling. One thing I can tell you is there's 10 ways to skin a cat. It definitely ain't cold calling for me. Internet is where it is at.

Have fun cold calling.

Do you have more details on what you're using for this? Seems interesting. I mean we use Google Analytics and all that but it doesn't go that far.

Thanks.

Precision

Do you have more details on what you're using for this? Seems interesting. I mean we use Google Analytics and all that but it doesn't go that far.

Thanks.
Please email me at david@precisionsignandgraphics.com. Also, here is the web address, so you can get a view of what I am talking about. www.inlandempiresigncompany.com.

If anyone else is interested, feel free to email and I will be happy to respond. I would be happy to share as much information about this approach as you'd like, (prefer to do it offline and not on this site).

It is not cheap, (it is far cheaper than a salesman's yearly salary though), but it is very effective. Thanks for asking.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I would be happy to share as much information about this approach as you'd like, (prefer to do it offline and not on this site).

Pricing your print/jobs/installs >>MEGA Thread<<
https://www.signs101.com/threads/pricing-your-print-jobs-installs-mega-thread.167723/post-1557994We're all watching and listening.
We're all watching and listening. Go ahead.

Precision,
It seems to me there is a dichotomy between the two approaches and use of this forum.

Just an observation.

Forward ahead.