• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What do you use for clear coat?

Sylvia

I was asked to clear coat a powder coated aluminium sign, which has Orafol 551 decals on it. What would you guys usually use for clear coating this?
I looked at posts, there is always the general term, "clear coat" but what is the actual coating material?
Thanks heaps!

brdesign

Whatever clear you decide to go with it is usually best to spray the first coat or two very lightly, before spraying a heavier final coat to avoid a chemical reaction with the vinyl. I would probably consider an automotive urethane clear coat.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My question would be...... why ?? There's no need at all to clearcoat the powder coated substrate and die-cut vinyl needs no clearcoat, either. You are doing more harm than good by clearing vinyl on applied on a surface. Eventually the edges will crack and/or delaminate. The vinyl is an 8 or 9 year vinyl. Clear is only good for a short period of time. Silly stupid move on their part.

Sounds like somebody upstairs just talks to hear themselves say dumb things. Talk them out of it.

Even a rigid laminate won't last as long as the vinyl in it's natural state.

Sylvia

I think they are afraid of vandalism - people picking off the little dots that form the decal work.
Yes, what you guys are saying makes total sense, I was afraid of cracked edges as well.
Thanks so much for your advise!

dweavers

I use Fusion High Performance Liquid Laminate or White Knight Crystal Clear Coat without any issues

Forty One

Just be aware that if the aluminium is annodised (sna) you may have issues bonding to the alu over time.
I make braille signs and realised after a few heartbreaks that mill was the best option.

ikarasu

Powdercoating the sign makes it very hard for anything to stick to it - We use 5-6 different types of Screenprint inks, and only enamel and Epoxy will stick to the surface... I cant imagine trying to put a can of krayon on it and hoping it'd stick and not flake off in a day or two.

Throw into the mix that there are different types of powder coating - 2 of them are popular... I forget the names / types off the top of my head. Theres 5-6 powder coating shops around here, about a 50/50 split on which type they use - We cant get powder coating done from 3 of the shops because of the type of coating they use - nothing will bond to it. Well... if you enamel it, then bake it in the oven for 20 minutes it will become scratch proof and bond ok... But we don't have an oven big enough to do the large signs we print, so its not an option for us.

I'd do what everyone above is echoing - talk them out of it. If you must do it... do not provide a warranty, and do a sample patch on the back side first, let it dry for 2 days and then see if you can scratch it with your fingernail.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You cannot stop vandalism. If someone wants to ruin something, they will. You can use graffiti proof clear laminate. If this is in such a bad area, I'd figure a way to put the sign higher, so they can't reach it.

Sylvia

Talking them out of it is the answer! Thanks for reassuring me.
We have put Orafol 551 decals on powdercoated signs without any issues in the past - I guess our powder-coater guy uses the right stuff , so no issues with sticking :)