• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What DPI

Sublime

What DPI do you recommend designing to when printing large format.

For example 300dpi at 25% of full print size, or 300dpi at 100% of full print size or 72dpi at 100% of full print size.

Cheers guys

Malkin

What are you printing?

For example, a trade show poster would not need to be the same as a billboard.

jc1cell

I design most everything at 10% of final size. If it's something that will be looked at from fairly close I use 720 to 1500 dpi. If it's something to be seen from pretty far (billboards, mesh banner) I usually go between 500 and 350 dpi.

When you send it to the rip you then increase it by 1000% and you get your final size and appropriate resolution.

Of course, offset is a different beast all together. That I always lay it out at 1:1 with a minimum of 450 dpi

jc

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Rule of thumb: You want the printer resolution to be at least 4 times the image resolution. For example, printing at 720dpi you'd want to have an image at ~150ppi. The 4:1 ratio typically yields the optimum printer pixels per image pixel. Something on the order of x^16 where x is the number of colors you're using plus 1, as in 4 for CMYK plus 1 for the white media. A ratio larger than that accomplishes nothing. Less than that can affect color fidelity.

The unaided human eye is incapable of seeing any sort pixelization at any image resolution more that ~130 ppi. Images with a resolution greater than 150ppi are usually a waste of time and space.

jmcnicoll

100 PPI (not DPI) at 100% should work fine for most anything. If doing fine art I like to use at least 140 PPI. Really depends on how good the image is to start with, your rip, your printer and what your printing on.

Jim

WB

I'd minimum 100 DPI at full size. depending on what your printing on 300 DPI at full size is max. anything else is a waste and most people can't tell the difference.