• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What grommet press does everyone use now?

GB2

Old Member
Hiker, Fasnap and Stimpson seem to be the leading makers of manual grommet presses. If I'm not mistaken, all the grommets are proprietary for each manufacturer so having a good supplier of grommets is a first consideration. Fasnap and Stimpson may be interchangeable, I'm not sure. All three are good and will do the job, compare the cost of the presses, the continuing cost and availability of the grommets and pick any one.

If you are looking for more than a manual press then Edward Segal is the leader.

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
I received the new Hiker press, and one I figured out how to set the dept it works great.

A question though, what width banner tape does everyone use and how far in to you set your grommets....

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
1" banner tape, and when I can print the marks for grommet placement, they are in about .75"

2B

Hiker,

the self piercing grommets are more readily stocked by our supplier and cheaper for the grommets than other presses

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
how do the plastic grommets hold up, neat idea
I've used plastic grommets for years. I think they're polyester actually. I get them from Image One Impact via my distributor. I have black, white and clear. These grommets are awesome and having the different color choices makes my banners stand out. Also, they don't rust in the salty Caribbean air in my area. They work fine with my Sooper Ace grommet press.

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
What banner tape does everyone use, I have been using Oracal since it is stocked by my local supplier, but that tape isn't that great, not real sticky, have had a few hems fail because of the tape.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
a Hiker manual is night and day better than the one you have now. We started with the same press you have and still have it as a a back up but the hiker is 10x smoother.

You’ll see a lot of recommendations on automatic or pneumatic machines. They are great but really consider how your work area is set up. We have an automatic Edward Segal and it’s a great time and arm saver but we rarely use it as we just don’t have room to set it up on a designated table and the hiker is a lot easier to move around and use. Watch some videos of people’s setups with an automatic press and make sure you have the room to integrate it. We’re a medium sized shop and do most of our work on an 8x4’ table and it’s hard to justify using the auto unless we have something like 100 signs/banners to grommet all at once. Most of my employees prefer using the hiker 99% of the time

candice316

I believe we got that same machine several years back. I've had to clean it out a couple times, but not a single person that has used a traditional press wants to go back to that.
Do you use it for grommets in coroplast signs or just banners? I'm looking for one I can use in coroplast.