• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What? In order for me to do some work for you, you want to have the option to audit my business expenses of the job!

Signarama Jockey

Signarama - Kind of an interesting! I don't worry about a businesses affiliation but I'm also not getting millions of dollars in donations to keep my business operating. If you got reported for refusing to hire a transgender and it hit the news and they find out you do all the printing for XXX, it could look bad for them. Too bad the world has to come to that.

Kinda makes me miss the good old days when you bought a product or hired someone for the service because they had the right balance of cost/schedule/quality. Remember that? Now, for some reason, we are shoe-horning a purity test into our market system.

To that point, I have a VERY political customer who is working on billboards that are designed to be provocative. This is politics and she wants to cause a big stir. As far as I'm concerned, what I believe politically isn't relevant - I'm just in it for the money. So long as they aren't hateful or violent or break any laws, I'm happy to make whatever they will pay for. But, we're going to have to install these billboards up really sneaky, so we aren't drawn into the firestorm if and when the pitchforks and torches come out. Wasn't there a saying about shooting the messenger?

I'm just here to do a job and make my customers happy so they keep giving us money. I will do a job for you no matter if I agree with you or not. What kind of world are we going to be left with if you have to choose one political side and only do what is in their interests? Think of me as a vending machine - put your money in and you get what you paid for; your politics are yours and mine are mine.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Kinda makes me miss the good old days when you bought a product or hired someone for the service because they had the right balance of cost/schedule/quality. Remember that? Now, for some reason, we are shoe-horning a purity test into our market system.

To that point, I have a VERY political customer who is working on billboards that are designed to be provocative. This is politics and she wants to cause a big stir. As far as I'm concerned, what I believe politically isn't relevant - I'm just in it for the money. So long as they aren't hateful or violent or break any laws, I'm happy to make whatever they will pay for. But, we're going to have to install these billboards up really sneaky, so we aren't drawn into the firestorm if and when the pitchforks and torches come out. Wasn't there a saying about shooting the messenger?

I'm just here to do a job and make my customers happy so they keep giving us money. I will do a job for you no matter if I agree with you or not. What kind of world are we going to be left with if you have to choose one political side and only do what is in their interests? Think of me as a vending machine - put your money in and you get what you paid for; your politics are yours and mine are mine.
Totally agree! You might need to rent some non-decaled trucks for the billboard install! And plain shirts without your business name LOL!!

There was a van parked a few miles away that had bloody aborted babies about 3' tall on the sides. I didn't do that van but I often wonder when I drive by if I could have stomached doing that job LOL

I'll take anyone's money too. There is one liberal shop in town and "one of me" in town so I tend to get all the conservatives in during election time and the other shop gets the liberals. The other gal gets involved in politics, so the liberals all go to her. I'm not sure if people know my political affiliation or not. I try not to advertise it or tell people.

gnubler

Totally agree! You might need to rent some non-decaled trucks for the billboard install! And plain shirts without your business name LOL!!
I've done a few installs where I went in my personal vehicle, out of uniform, sometimes on a Sunday...LOL
Some jobs I don't want to be associated with. Various reasons.

I don't post any political or potentially controversial signage on my website or social media. I'm here to make signs, not take sides. I have some customers who think I'm on "their side" based on the comments they make. The truth is I don't give af about their stupid campaign or movement.

One of my competitors has been cruising around town with a large political banner on the decaled company truck. Let's see how that works out for them...

pro-up

Good advise all around. We had built the sign originally and worked directly with the landlord. Now he uses a management company, and they are the ones with the criteria. Would like to work for them as they do manage many shops. The person we would deal with is someone we can deal with too. Just alot of aggravation to do so. Like you say, Aggravation fee.
I would also ask if this condition can be waived. I've worked on a lot of projects, with very stringent requirements. Because we are a small shop, I've pointed this out, and we were able to get out of their requirements. Sometimes a human element of just saying, "hey, can we skip this?" directly to someone can go far. Good luck with your project!

Scotchbrite

No comment
New vendor inspections are pretty commonplace. We even have had our customer's customers come to check things out. Sometimes onsite QC for jobs too. As far as the auditing, that is also normal if you declared yourself as an SBE or DBE since the main contract holder is required to prove their use for many contracts. Not everything is nefarious or arbitrary, you guys need to get out more.
I'm always surprised how many customers don't check out our facility, especially on bigger projects.