• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help What In The World Happened Here!

K2

So we did a wrap job using Avery 1105RS with 1360 laminate. Went out Friday and the customer brought it back for us to look at on Monday and it looked like this (pictures attached). Any ideas what caused this? I have contacted my rep and sent pics and he is gonna get with Avery rep to see what their thoughts are. It was printed on a Thursday and Friday and was not laminated till Tuesday. It looked nice, glossy and clear when it went out. I would the haze is on about 85% of the wrap.

Attachments

• IMG_2606.jpg
    IMG_2606.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 517
  • IMG_2612.jpg
    IMG_2612.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_2613.jpg
    IMG_2613.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 486

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Looks like installer might've melted the vinyl. I think the grid is the adhesive pattern, and it's all outta wonk.

• Agree
Reactions: a77

K2

Ink was def dry, it is brand new trailer and cleaned very well, very little heat was used since it was flat surface with no rivets. May have used heat here and there just to take slack out to line up. I think it looks like something was used to clean it and it ate/melted laminate or something similar. Customer says he didn't use anything on it though and I don't see why he would use anything abrasive on it anyways so i kinda ruled that out. Waiting on Avery to try and give me a suggestion.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Maybe there were pressure differences in how you were squeegeeing the vinyl. It may have looked OK inside but once the sun got on it, it bubbled or expanded leaving very small air pockets.

IDB Signs

Nothing. Carded and used a roller pro and nothing happens.
So this, along with the fact that the hazy streaks sort of look like drips going down the side (in the further back photo), makes me think some chemical or cleaner may have been used?

• Agree
Reactions: K2

ddarlak

Go Bills!
OK, the sun hit it, since it's black it got to some crazy temperature and caused the vinyl to shrink microscopically showing the glue pattern on the reverse side.

That's my best guess...

ams

Avery has had a lot of problems lately, since they moved to a new manufacturing system, it could be a defect vinyl or laminate.

ams

Also do note that Avery top coats some of their vinyls, so beware. This was told me by one of the Avery support guys, when my laminate failed on some of their vinyl.

Avery has had a lot of problems lately, since they moved to a new manufacturing system, it could be a defect vinyl or laminate.

Avery has had a lot of problems since always is more like it. Sadly, their wrap medias are arguably the easiest to apply, so a lot of installers like it.

ams

Avery has had a lot of problems since always is more like it. Sadly, their wrap medias are arguably the easiest to apply, so a lot of installers like it.

This is true, I never liked Avery at all. I feel they need to stay in the office label environment.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
It looks like the ink was not properly set before laminating.
Let us know which printer this was produced on.
I have sold and done training on all the inkjet printers for over 20 years.
I am guessing maybe it's a new HP latex?
I have had several of my customers develop this with the HPs and we have a solution.