• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the best printer for our needs????

thesledhead

About 4 years ago I bought a package deal from Sign Warehouse:frustrated: that came with a Falcon jr. printer and a Q45 cutter. Well the cutter has been great and the only thing we have made money on. The printer however has been nothing but a 4 year headache :banghead:. We have replaced x,y motors, heads, lines, capping stations and this week the main board. I just cant take it anymore. I think one problem is we don't use the printer enough to justify having a ink printer, however doing 1-2 print jobs a week I cant justify outsourcing the work. Plus the few jobs we have outsourced have been very poor quality that I had to redo on my coin to make it right.

So with that said, what is the best printer for a small shop that will use it once or twice a week? I also would like to deal with a company that has GOOD customer service and will stand behind their product.

gnatt66

30" vp300i here....i love it. small footprint, prints and cuts and i can let it sit if i need to for a couple days with no issues. it's affordable and does the job well.

thesledhead

I have a 54" Versacamm its a great printer it uses eco solvent ink. they make a 30" if you dont do any wide format. http://www.rolanddga.com/products/printcut/versa/ Theres some information on this printer.
Thanks, so you can leave the printer for a couple days without the heads drying out? Ours is actually a 48" not a 38" but I have rarely used it for more than a 24" job.
30" vp300i here....i love it. small footprint, prints and cuts and i can let it sit if i need to for a couple days with no issues. it's affordable and does the job well.
Who makes that?
thanks

gnatt66

sorry vp300i is a Roland versacamm. it's the 4 head version (newer design) and is faster than a sp-300 but both are proven super reliable machines. either way is a great choice.

luggnut

if you are only doing a few print jobs a month (1-2 a week = 4-8 a month) i would only outsource. i use my falcon 46 everyday and i think i may have been better off outsourcing to start off. think about it the profit on those jobs would hardly cover the maintenence of the print much less a payment.

TresL

Once you get a printer you can rely on, you will be using more than you think...
Much easier to print 2 or 3 colors than cut & weed.

Todd M Castle

I think one problem is we don't use the printer enough to justify having a ink printer

This was your only problem with the current model printer you had. The outdoor was a good printer but needed to be taken care of like a puppy. If it was not used that printer did have issues.

With that being said both the new Rolands and Mutoh have corrected the issue of not needing to print everyday and both are great printers. You can't go wrong with either.

Good luck on whichever you choose.

imagep

Once you get a printer you can rely on, you will be using more than you think...
Much easier to print 2 or 3 colors than cut & weed.

Thats what I was thinking. We have only been doing digital printing in house for about a year and a half, but now we use it EVERY day. I cant imagine having a machine and not using a good bit.

Maybe the origional poster should concentrate on building his business more than worring about which printer will be ok sitting around for days without use.