• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the cause of this shrinking Laminate?

studebaker

Deluded Artist
This is HP Gloss Polymeric Overlaminate from Lexjet and its shrinking big time. My question is this entirely the laminates' fault or since this is a solid color print of latex ink from an HP 315 printer, is it releasing because of the ink, or just low-quality HP laminate? I know that the new HP printers 700/800 use a different kind of ink that let you turn off the scratch resistant overcoat for when you are laminating a solid print so the laminate will stick better so is that indicative that the ink may be the culprit in this case? You can actually see it pulling away from underneath the screws! The blue and silver are metallic vinyl applied OVER the laminate.

d6f0a5021edadeec9fe5e8f25a29e6c3e878ba98-1.jpg

aed5cdee80195effe198033e8e7f2502d5767ca9-1.jpg
de1ba331eee3e4b9332ece7912f13234ca80cc07-1.jpg
d6f0a5021edadeec9fe5e8f25a29e6c3e878ba98-1.jpg
aed5cdee80195effe198033e8e7f2502d5767ca9-1.jpg
de1ba331eee3e4b9332ece7912f13234ca80cc07-1.jpg

2B

100% WRONG lamination!!!!
That link you listed states this is calendered
The shrinking is only going to get WORSE.

210 is also a calendered film and turns "yellow" with UV Burn EASILY, all while shrinking A LOT

ONLY use CAST on vehicles!!!

The only other laminate suggestion is 3M 8048, for SHORT term and flat surfaces

FrankW

Unfortunately, laminate do not stick very good on latex printed areas, laminate can still easily be removed after weeks.

studebaker

Deluded Artist
Well there ya go! I have a recommendation for 3M 8048G is a 2mil gloss, calendered, non-pvc overlaminate that is suitable for flat or simple curves to replace my calendared HP laminate because it shrinks. Then the recommendation for cast only vinyl still leads the pack. Which begs the question, what CAST laminate is cost effective?

Thank you for telling me about the Oracal 210 turning yellow (burn). I've seen that on a lot of signs around town and just attributed it to cheap Chinese vinyl.

2B

Well there ya go! I have a recommendation for 3M 8048G is a 2mil gloss, calendered, non-pvc overlaminate that is suitable for flat or simple curves to replace my calendared HP laminate because it shrinks. Then the recommendation for cast only vinyl still leads the pack. Which begs the question, what CAST laminate is cost effective?

Thank you for telling me about the Oracal 210 turning yellow (burn). I've seen that on a lot of signs around town and just attributed it to cheap Chinese vinyl.

We use Arlon 3270,
Because it is bundled with SLX from Reece for a good price

contact your vinyl supplier, see what they have and their list price
You can also look online at
Grimco
Reece
Fellers
N Glantz
ETC...

The biggest factor is going to be AVAILABILITY.......

Last edited:

studebaker

Deluded Artist
Remington laminations makes a cast lam for around 350 a roll. We only use Avery and 3m so I can't personally vouch for it though.
Thank you for the recommendation... I just pulled the trigger on the Remington Cast vinyl to try it out. $351.00 plus $45 shipping. I'll report back next month on how well it's doing.

Precision

Charge accordingly. Cheapest is never cheapest, after the call back or repair. We use Ij180cv3/8518, or Briteline Wrapcast/wrapcast lam, and use two price points to sell the wrap. Better and Best.

dave_s

Lamination :) optimal lamination occurs with a minimal combination of FOUR things: Pressure, heat, time, and tension. Typically with shrinking film, especially after a short time many times there is too much tension on the feed roller. Should be a "dial" which controls a spring on the feed roller. Tension should be set very light, just enough to provide a little resistance during feeding.

So, heat up the vinyl a little, and add too much tension on the feed roller this will definitely stretch the top film during lamination. Then the vinyl wants to return to its previous thickness and BOOM shrink.

Another good thing to remember and this happens over longer periods of time; laminating different products together like cast vinyl films with calendared films will result in different expansion and contraction amounts during temp changes. Again, causing shrinking or separating of films.

Just a thought

Ready

Ready To Go
This is HP Gloss Polymeric Overlaminate from Lexjet and its shrinking big time. My question is this entirely the laminates' fault or since this is a solid color print of latex ink from an HP 315 printer, is it releasing because of the ink, or just low-quality HP laminate? I know that the new HP printers 700/800 use a different kind of ink that let you turn off the scratch resistant overcoat for when you are laminating a solid print so the laminate will stick better so is that indicative that the ink may be the culprit in this case? You can actually see it pulling away from underneath the screws! The blue and silver are metallic vinyl applied OVER the laminate.

View attachment 157829
View attachment 157830 View attachment 157831 View attachment 157829 View attachment 157830 View attachment 157831
Here is a resource I started using in 2006. Company is Kapco in Kent, Ohio. Started as a converter and expanded into wholesale products for sign stores and more. Large selection, many sizes, cast and calendared, darn good pricing, and receive my order from them in 3 days, and I'm in Clearwater, Florida. You can speak to Nate Foltz. (very helpful) tel: 800-843-5368

Here is a link to laminates...

Bob P.

FrankW

If you have a problem with laminate sticking to latex printed areas then there's a problem with the laminate period.
I have a latex printer and do not have a single issue with lamination on my prints.
Try it out. I am a supporter, and had several issues when taping laminate on blank areas or printed areas, you will check a large difference (latex 300 and 500). Most of the time it doesn´t matter.