• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the cause of this shrinking Laminate?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I've used Frog Juice quite a bit in the past but haven't used it for quite a while. I only have a manual laminator and it's OK but maybe a liquid lam might be just as quick for certain things?

So, for example, let's say you print a 2'x4' sign that will be attached to the side of a building, you prefer to use liquid vs. vinyl? However, maybe for a mud-truck you would use vinyl as it's likely to have stones, mud, and perhaps a briar patch rubbing up on it.
The only use I've ever had for Frog Juice is coating MDF so vinyl would stick to it.

No question with the side of a building. Liquid.

Used liquid laminate on a logo on a few sets of mud flaps for an outfit's flat bed trucks. Going on 4 years now and they seem to be holding up just fine.

There's liquid laninates and then there's liquid laminates. I use Clear Shield Original Formula, or Classic , that's what they call it now. I use no other brand and no other formulation.

Stacey K

I like making signs
The only use I've ever had for Frog Juice is coating MDF so vinyl would stick to it.

No question with the side of a building. Liquid.

Used liquid laminate on a logo on a few sets of mud flaps for an outfit's flat bed trucks. Going on 4 years now and they seem to be holding up just fine.

There's liquid laninates and then there's liquid laminates. I use Clear Shield Original Formula, or Classic , that's what they call it now. I use no other brand and no other formulation.

Thank you! Others have mentioned I. The past using that so I think I’m going to try it!
EDIT: Scratch that, I just called them and they said it doesn't adhere well to Latex lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Try it out. I am a supporter, and had several issues when taping laminate on blank areas or printed areas, you will check a large difference (latex 300 and 500). Most of the time it doesn´t matter.
I try it daily. I laminate everything except banners, window perf (situational) and wall murals. It's possible you are using calendared laminate on a cast vinyl.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
You try to rip laminate off of printed and non printed media daily?
The trial here is to stick a piece of laminate to a non printed section & a printed section, then try to remove said laminate from each and see which is harder to remove.
I said I laminate on vinyl daily. I never said I try to rip it off. That would defeat the purpose wouldn't it? Ive only had one issue ever with laminate and it was on a boat. We are pretty sure that we put calendared laminate on a cast vinyl. big no no. I fixed the problem. So, there's no need for me to "try" it.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Follow me here, FrankW said laminates do not like this generation of latex inks, in particular the optimizer, which is true. The problem isn't that 'you can't laminate latex inks', you totally can and thousands of print shops do it every day. Now your statement here:

is really erroneous. Just because you don't have an issue doesn't mean others may, and to point blank accuse the laminate vs literally anything else is short sighted. That being said, he told you to try it yourself. You asked for clarity, he gave it to you, I thought I could provide a clearer explanation of the test since Frank's in Germany. Then Monday you open the thread back up:

So here we are. If you want to see a neat trick, print a swatch of solid color, stick it to your table, take an unprinted section, stick it to your table, hand laminate something aggressive even, like 3m's 8518 or arlon's 3270 to each, leave a dog eared corner to pull from, and see which is easier to remove from the media.
Ok, tell me this, when you hand laminate something, isnt' it already going to be easier to take off? don't you have to take that into account vs the two rubber rollers that squeeze the material? I mean, I thought that's how that worked.

(i had a notification. I thought I was responding to that notification...not opening up the conversation again. I apologize for the confusion on that part)
Gimme a break, I'm busy!

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Well you are certainly right, but as long as you use consistent pressure between the two areas you're good for an experiment, but to do it proper like, setup the laminator, run each piece through, then stick to the table. Not sure the best way to both undersize the laminate (to prevent the media from lifting with your laminate) and dog ear a corner.
I will say, I had (and still have) 0 issues with laminating anything off my hp 560 (other than traditional laminating issues). That being said, I have done this and have seen how 'easy' it is to rip the laminate free on printed media, and I was rather shocked. Never had one fail in the field though.
But have you hand laminated on printed vinyl that isn't latex to determine whether it's the latex or the application? Don't you have to rule that out? I've pulled off laminate that went through the laminator incorrectly and relaminated. I never noticed if it was difficult in certain areas. I was just grateful I didn't waste a full print.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
no experience with latex prints, but I think it has more to do with how long the laminate has been on there, vs how it's applied (hand or machine)

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
but if you have never had failure, then there shouldn't be an issue. I get it to keep it in the back of your head. and that's why i like this forum to discuss problems and how they are fixed.

i acquired a gently used laminator recently and it's not working. I'm not savvy in fixing it, so I called someone to come out and fix it. Since it was free to me, I'm going to put a little money in it and see what happens. It's a royal sovereign so it can't be terrible.