• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What kind of digital camera do you have?

Charlie J

I'm looking for something that will export as .raw or .tiff

I bought a samsung from Radioshack for like $100 last night and it was a piece. I took it back. Used AA Batteries. I'm looking for something that is rechargeable. What would you recommend for under $500.00?

weaselboogie

Good question. I dont' want to thread pirate, and I hope I add to this, but what high end cameras do people use... Thinking SLR digital...? Does anyone take their own pictures to use for finished work? I've been looking into this myself.

chopper

I use a cannon digital rebel I think it is a 10 mega pixal
works fantastic for going directly from shoot to print..
//chopper

ChiknNutz

I've been really happy with my Canon PowerShot A620 (7.1MP), but it does not output in either RAW or TIFF, just JPG. What I like about it is the screen swivels around so you can see what you are shooting when held at odd angles. I think it was about $250 a year or so ago.

rockongraphix

i have the cannon powershot a550 7.1mp cost me $200 ,and picked up a 2gig card for it for $15 about a year ago, takes about 700 pics at highest setting and up over 10000 at lowest 640x480 , good zoom took some great photos at 100+ feet away and still see the features of a persons face , and also records movies , i find the picture are very sharp , untill night shots but works great.

wildside

Sony DSC-H7
8.1 megapixel
15x optical

same with it great from shoot to print

one thing to look for in a camera is not just the mega pixels but the zoom, digital zoom is not all that it's cracked up to be, a good optical zoom does wonders

woolly

i have used a nikon d100 since they came out and with a decent bit of glass in front of it cant really fault it,
saved in raw then in to PS to anything you want, i have done several 8ft x 4 ft fine.
these are now available on the s/h market for not a lot of money could be worth a look.

woolly

Flame

Canon Rebel digital. 8mp, never tried shooting in RAW but believe it has that option. Never saw a use for it though.

Runs about $700 with a 55mm lense, but it takes really nice pictures even in auto mode. So a beginner can learn to use it, or you can set everything manual, and use it as a true photographers level DSLR.

One of the best bangs for your buck IMO. Great little camera, just a touch out of your budget. But I'd suggest going ahead and spending the extra money.... it's worth it.

signmeup

Canon Rebel XT 8 mega pixel.You should be able to find a new one under $400. Pentax K100D would be a good choice too. It has built in anti shake.
Check out steves digicams Lots of info an links to good suppliers.

Adrian

Bogie

If you can, shoot raw, as high a resolution as you can.

Personally, if people ask my advice, I tell them to buy a camera that's made by a -camera- company, not a general electronics company. Reason being is that the lens, etc., are likely to work a LOT better.

Canons also generally have fairly fast "trigger" time, even with the pocket cameras. I use a 570 now for a lot of stuff, and it works just fine. In a previous "life," I used a Nikon D100 and D70 a lot. Both were good cameras.

Several things can be your friend: Get a tripod. Helps to have things steady. If it'll take an external flash, spend the cash, and get one with a movable turnable head. You're painting with light here. You need light.

Bogie

The cool thing about raw is that you can go up/down a couple of stops _without image degradation_. Digital is NOT as forgiving of over/under exposure as film, and after you get used to playing with the raw images, you'll never go back.

Raulrdz

I have always been a Canon person, I love the EOS family, but I picked up an Olympus Evolt 300 at a real good price. Haven't been disappointed yet. 8mp, raw and tiff. Has an ultrasonic wave cmos cleaner (no dust specs) and compared to my friend's Rebel the pictures are a lot more sharp and colors are closer to the real thing.

Samm

Canon IXUS 70. Just got it and Love it. Not sure about what formats it supports But it has a rechargeable battery, and is Small.

Sam

signmeup

My back-up camera is a 4 mega pixel fuji S5100. Lovely little camera. I does do RAW files. Huge zoom range. Nicer build quality than my Canon Rebel XT. It's few years old but it has a standard image chip in it, not a Fuji Super CCD chip. This is a good thing. If you dig around Ebay you can probably find a NOS one for a $100 or so. The Canon has the best image quality though. NOS Rebel XTs are going for about 400 bucks. An 8 megapixel image is huge. 10 megapixel is only slightly larger.
Oh...like Bogie said ...shoot RAW and convert to whatever. Gives you a chance to salvage under or over exposed images and you can correst some pretty weird color cast problems. The Canon software works pretty well. If you go with a Fugi there is a free RAW converter called S7RAW that works well. The Fuji software will only convert the RAW file to a Tiff.

Adrian

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Olympus EVolt 500. 8MP cam....nice setup with a telephoto lens. Great camera and very intuitive.