• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What laminations do you use?

Signarama Jockey

We've recently had a problem with a supplier and have been trying out alternative vendors to supply out media and lamination needs. I have found, that the new vendor we are trying out does not have all of the stuff my old one did (and visa versa).

So, trying to populate the favorites of the new vendor with the same (or similar) items. Everything was straightforward until I hit the lamination. I am faced with a bunch of lamination from brands I know, but I haven't used any of them and can't recommend one over the other.

We carry a selection of less common laminates (floor, matte, dry erase, etc.), but our workhorse laminates have been cast and calendared.

For the cast, I am now going to be ordering 3M Scotchcal 8518. It is a 2 mil, 8 year lam.

To replace out calendared, I was thinking about the 3M 8508. Technically, this is a 2.3 cast lam, but it only has a 4 year lifespan. Price is not too far off from what we were paying.

My question is; what laminations do your use most commonly?

MikePro

Arlon and Briteline(grimco housebrand) are my current favorites. cast/calendared, all good stuff.
we still use a lot of 8508, but we don't treat it like its a "true cast" like 8518-8520 that we could wrap a car with. flat stuff only, indoor use or inside of a frame outdoor.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I prefer 8518 for cast but am still getting the moldy looking blotches deep into the roll. Arlon 3220 is good. Have used briteline cast, seems fine too. For calendared, IMO 8508 is garbage. We used to use Oracal 215, that stuff lasts forever but it got to be expensive. If you want good though, that is the stuff but not everything needs that. Now we use substance 3150. I'd stay away from Oracal 210 and 3M 8508 but everyone has an opinion

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
We've got some great calendared lams.
Everyday 3 year calendared (monomeric) 54"x164' rolls are around $170
5 year calendared (polymeric) 54"x150' are around $260
7 year calendared (polymeric) 54"x150' are around $301
All coated in Toronto for us

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I prefer 8518 for cast but am still getting the moldy looking blotches deep into the roll. Arlon 3220 is good. Have used briteline cast, seems fine too. For calendared, IMO 8508 is garbage. We used to use Oracal 215, that stuff lasts forever but it got to be expensive. If you want good though, that is the stuff but not everything needs that. Now we use substance 3150. I'd stay away from Oracal 210 and 3M 8508 but everyone has an opinion
We got sick of the blotchy crap on 8518 and switched to 8418G. Nicer price point than 8518 and even 3220. It still has a bit of blotchiness near the end of the roll but nothing like 8518 consistently has now in every roll.

The only calendared laminate we use/stock is Avery DOL 2080 matte. Can't say I've ever used their gloss version but the matte has been rock solid for parking signs/interior signs. Very little shrinkage over time and has a really nice finish on it.

If we need a cast matte we use Arlon 3220 which is also a nice product at a good price point.

Notarealsignguy

For calendared, I use Substance. For cast, I have been using the Briteline optically clear stuff.

However, Substance is working on a line of cast laminates now! I can't wait until their done and I can switch over to those!
They told me the same thing. I hope they make it in house and not rebrand GF or some other product that can be bought anywhere.

Notarealsignguy

We got sick of the blotchy crap on 8518 and switched to 8418G. Nicer price point than 8518 and even 3220. It still has a bit of blotchiness near the end of the roll but nothing like 8518 consistently has now in every roll.

The only calendared laminate we use/stock is Avery DOL 2080 matte. Can't say I've ever used their gloss version but the matte has been rock solid for parking signs/interior signs. Very little shrinkage over time and has a really nice finish on it.

If we need a cast matte we use Arlon 3220 which is also a nice product at a good price point.
Thanks, I'll have to give it a try. The one thing that annoys me with every other brand of cast laminate is the rolls are always a little wider than the material where 3M is pretty exact. Trimming off a 1/4" of overhanging laminate on a full roll so it doesn't get stuck on the plotter platen really sucks.
The cores are also larger on 3220, GF, Briteline etc and they can slip on our cheapy laminator. 3M is a hair tighter than the other manufacturers. Little things but that damn blotching is a deal killer

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Thanks, I'll have to give it a try. The one thing that annoys me with every other brand of cast laminate is the rolls are always a little wider than the material where 3M is pretty exact. Trimming off a 1/4" of overhanging laminate on a full roll so it doesn't get stuck on the plotter platen really sucks.
The cores are also larger on 3220, GF, Briteline etc and they can slip on our cheapy laminator. 3M is a hair tighter than the other manufacturers. Little things but that damn blotching is a deal killer
Yeah that little extra material isn't fun when laminating full rolls.....I've been meaning to post about adding slitters on a laminator and you just reminded me.

Signarama Jockey

Wow, you aren't kidding about Oracal 215 being expensive. I'm used to paying $190 for a roll of Briteline Gloss Cal Lam, and I see Oracal 215 for $529! That's a hefty jump. That stuff better correct spelling errors for that price!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Wow, you aren't kidding about Oracal 215 being expensive. I'm used to paying $190 for a roll of Briteline Gloss Cal Lam, and I see Oracal 215 for $529! That's a hefty jump. That stuff better correct spelling errors for that price!
That's more than we pay for 3220 (cast), considering exchange rate etc. Is that really going rate for a slightly better version of 210? (I haven't trusted 210 for a long time, stuff shrinks an curls like a mofo)

Goatshaver

For all my calendared work I used Substance vinyl and laminates.
They also make a nice holographic 3mil calendared vinyl.

For calendared, I use Substance. For cast, I have been using the Briteline optically clear stuff.

However, Substance is working on a line of cast laminates now! I can't wait until their done and I can switch over to those!
I see they have a neon line of cast vinyl available now. (only 1 Year durability though) now sure if that's because of the colors and how they have to formulate it.

victor bogdanov

That's more than we pay for 3220 (cast), considering exchange rate etc. Is that really going rate for a slightly better version of 210? (I haven't trusted 210 for a long time, stuff shrinks an curls like a mofo)
The listed price on some oracal stuff is pretty crazy but can be discounted pretty good if you ask for discount.

I think these companies like fellers and grimco list some oracal high to push their house brands

ProColorGraphics

For all my calendared work I used Substance vinyl and laminates.
They also make a nice holographic 3mil calendared vinyl.

I see they have a neon line of cast vinyl available now. (only 1 Year durability though) now sure if that's because of the colors and how they have to formulate it.
I think all neon films fade crazy fast out in the sun!

Notarealsignguy

It didn't used to be that bad, now it's pushing the price point of a low end cast like Briteline and GF so kind of pointless. You do get what you pay for though, I see some stuff we did 7-8 years ago that doesn't show the slightest bit of age and that's in Florida sun.

Signarama Jockey

Oh wait... I'm getting twisted around here. There is an Oracal Oraguard 210 that is a 2.5mil 4 year version ($263), and one that is a 2mil 8 year version for ($579). Then there is a 215 that is 2.75mil 5 year for ($528).

I think all this thin stuff is going to feel different. For my calendared, I like the stiffness of 3mil.

Notarealsignguy

Oh wait... I'm getting twisted around here. There is an Oracal Oraguard 210 that is a 2.5mil 4 year version ($263), and one that is a 2mil 8 year version for ($579). Then there is a 215 that is 2.75mil 5 year for ($528).

I think all this thin stuff is going to feel different. For my calendared, I like the stiffness of 3mil.
You'd like substance. I wouldn't use 210.